ipod nano 6th generation charging

Reaction score
i bought a new ipod nano 6th generation. plugged into my older ipod nano wall charger and nothing. i plugged my 5 year old ipod nano into it and it works but not for the 6th generation model. it will charge from my computer but dont really want to have to turn my computer on every time i want to charge it, thats why i had a wall charger for my older one. i called apple and they said i needed a charger for a 6th generation model. dont really want to spend another $30.00. ideas ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know who at Apple told you that but I have both a 5th and 6th generation Nano and use the same exact charger. Both take a 5V output USB charger, however, there may be a problem with the cable you're using.

The wide end of the charging cable that plugs into the Nano sometimes doesn't line up especially if you've been using it for awhile. I've have had that happen to me but if the cable is OK, it will work on both the 5th and 6th Nanos.

Also, Staples sells a charger for the Nano for $10.95. I recently bought 5 of them. Target also sells a more fancy charger for $19.95.

OP
H
Reaction score
ill try it again, my old nano shows charging with it ok. so then when i plug the new 6th generation one in it should show on the screen the charging just like the older one ?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When I plug in my 6th Gen Nano it does NOT show the typical battery thing that shows charging. It's some other symbol.

Hope that helps.

Edit: just tried it on my iPads charger. Screen lights up and the little battery indicator top right had a black lightning bolt in it when it's plugged in. Sorry for being so vague but no large battery icon like my older iPods do.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
ill try it again, my old nano shows charging with it ok. so then when i plug the new 6th generation one in it should show on the screen the charging just like the older one ?

As Dennis pointed out, the symbols are different. My 5th generation shows a large battery symbol with the line moving from left to right indicating that it's charging. Both 6th generation models (older and newer 6th) just show the battery symbol with the lightning bolt. However, it'll fully charge much faster than the 5th generation model. But for both, the charger used is the same.

OP
H
Reaction score
well i switched cable and still nothing. i turn the ipod nano off then plug in, nothing on the screen, just black. use the same cable to connect to my computer and its fine. even tried a different wall charger, nothing. i can charge my older ipod nano but nit his new style one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you turn the Nano on while the charger and cable are hooked to it, what do you see? Mine will show the battery symbol as full with a lightning bolt. If I turn off the Nano it will continue to charge but the screen is black. After about an hour I can then unplug it from the charger, turn it on and it will show fully charged. Why don't you try that and see if it charges OK.

I think your charger is working OK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.