Help! How to Remove Corrosion!

Reaction score
I am very afraid right now.

I went to the Apple store to check out a problem relating to my touchpad. The man who helped me easily fixed the issue, but in addition brought to my attention a far more concerning problem.

He told me that there had been some water corrosion internally in my laptop. I can not for the life of me remember when I had spilled water next to my laptop, but that's irrelevant now.

He told me that the major corrosion had not taken place on the motherboard, but than some small bits of it had been affected. He said that if any ill effects would have taken place because of the water damage, they would have already taken place.

Does this make sense? Would you agree?

There are two reasons I'm concerned:

1. Obviously, I don't want the computer to fail.

2. I don't want problems with computer to be blamed on the corrosion and I don't want Apple warranty to be voided.

Will this corrosion spread or worsen the state of my computer over time? Is it a cancer?

I wanted to know, firstly, if the corrosion can be removed, and if so, would it leave a residue or some other form of evidence.

Ultimately, I would like to remove the corrosion to keep my Apple warranty from being voided from completely unrelated problems that can be blamed on the corrosion.

I have a 2011 15.4'' model laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
leave well alone, is my advice.

There are components on the motherboard that can be effected by moisture, but once the moisture has gone, no further corrosion will take place - hence my advice to leave alone.

The corrosion will not progress any further because one of its reagents (water) is now out of the equation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.