• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New TV Reccomendations

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM
I am looking at getting a new TV to go along with my XBOX 360 and I cant decide what to get. Is getting an HDTV really worth the extra cash? I would like to get a LCD TV that will make my XBOX 360 look its best. My current TV isnt that great and I would like to upgrade. I dont want to spend too much on it, I mean I dont want to spend like $2000 or more, but I would still like to get a quality TV. Any suggestions/comments?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+
First, I wouldn't get an HDTV just for XBOX 360...subsrcibe to HD service as well. I also would try to avoid Rear Projection HDTV's...you can pick one up a 50"+" for $1,500 CAN...you get what you pay for. It's what I paid for my 30" Panasonic CT-30WX54 Direct View.

Look into DLP or 34" Direct View HDTV's and subscribe to Direct TV/Comcast HD service.

OP
dmachine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wont be getting a rear projection TV because it wont fit into my bedroom (I am in college and taking classes online this semester and staying at home). I wont be getting the Direct TV either because we have combined internet and digital cable service through our TV cable provider. So should I just not go with an HDTV since the only thing that I would be using it for is my XBOX 360?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+
No, at the end it's your decision :)

Space it tight? I guess you need to go with Direct View HDTV...check out Pansonic, Toshiba, Samsung and Sony. I went with Panasonic because of its Features/PQ/Price.

Not sure how services work down there but you can always upgrade in the future (HD Service)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i have a 27 inch toshiba hdtv in my room, i really like it.. great quality.. no where near as great of quality as the 45 inch sony hdtv that is in my family room, but the toshiba hdtv is not bad. I like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've heard Dell makes pretty good LCD TVs for a reasonable price. I think the 26" has a $200 instant rebate on it right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
has to have hd? hope not!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
All of the games have to be HD compatible to a certain extent, the Xbox360 will still work with RCA or even an RF connector

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
dmachine said:
I wont be getting a rear projection TV because it wont fit into my bedroom (I am in college and taking classes online this semester and staying at home). I wont be getting the Direct TV either because we have combined internet and digital cable service through our TV cable provider. So should I just not go with an HDTV since the only thing that I would be using it for is my XBOX 360?

you can still get HDTV without getting DIRECT TV, you can watch HDTV over digital cable, and in some parts of the contry, that is better than satellite, because you never have to worry about sun spots, snow being on the dish on the roof, or anythign else getting in the way of the signal. As to rear projection tvs, I have a 50" rear projection LCD tv by panasonic (I believe its model # PT-50LC14) awesome television, has a VGA hook up for computer, has HDMI, and is only 15 inches deep I believe, not too big. The newer model is even nicer. Don't put down rear projection, just because of the old style.

OP
dmachine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im not putting down rear projection becuase of old style its just that I dont have the room. I will have to be putting this TV on top of a cabinet and that is the reason that I will not be getting a rear projection TV. I was looking at the Dells and they seem to be pretty affordable. After looking around though I think I am going to wait and save up some more money so that I can get one that I truely like and not just because of affordibility. I always end up just getting whatever I can afford and then kick myself later because I am not happy with it. Keep coming with the reccomendations though, I really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+
hondagus87 said:
you can still get HDTV without getting DIRECT TV, you can watch HDTV over digital cable, and in some parts of the contry, that is better than satellite, because you never have to worry about sun spots, snow being on the dish on the roof, or anythign else getting in the way of the signal. As to rear projection tvs, I have a 50" rear projection LCD tv by panasonic (I believe its model # PT-50LC14) awesome television, has a VGA hook up for computer, has HDMI, and is only 15 inches deep I believe, not too big. The newer model is even nicer. Don't put down rear projection, just because of the old style.

What you have is sweet, it's Rear Projection but in LCD...I was referring to (I don't even know what the technology is called) old school projectors that just can't even match with today Direct View HDTV's...!!!

This myth with satellite needs to be dropped, I NEVER had a issue with SIGNAL LOST during a winter/rain storm...the only problem I have is with Bell ExpressVu's CSR...!!! By the way, he doesn't have to got with Direct TV, he can go with what ever he wants, like Comcast Cable.

I don't see how dmachine can get HD on his Digital service? Sure the PQ will improve. He can actually get HD for FREE if he buys a HDTV with HD Tuner...he can do it with OTA (Off the Air) Signal...Google this for more information. My uncle who live is Windsor...very close Detroit/State Border gets it...!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.