Aperture, Shared files and Permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
My partner and I share an MBP (2010, i7) and use the ~/users/shared/... folder to synchronise photo's between our two user accounts. That's proven to be an interesting exercise particularly as we each have individual Aperture databases...

1st, Aperture will not allow us both to have the programme running at the same time. Either one of us has to remember to shut the programme down before swapping users or the computer needs to be restarted. That's a bit inconvenient, but nothing insurmountable. Still, if anyone knows a way for us both to run Aperture at the same time, I'm all ears!

Next issue is the file permissions, which will allow whichever of us to downloaded the images full access and the other virtually no privileges at all, despite the images all being in the ~/users/shared/... folder. The only resolution I have found is to "get info" for every image and the laboriously go through each, changing the permissions individually to 777. I have seen the Owner and Group toggle boxes in the Get Info interface, and whilst I suspect something in there may contain at least a partial answer to my issues, I don't know a thing about these groups, so am loathe to modify anything there without certain knowledge.

I also use A Better Finder Rename (clumsy name, but a brilliant utility IMO) as a part of my process, so by the time I have all my images downloaded and where I want them to be, I've been through a lot of processes -often individually on each file- as you can see.

So, my final plea would be for any advice that can be offered on how to automate this whole process, from download to final destination/import to Aperture, including the file renaming, changing permissions et al.

I'll be very grateful indeed for whatever advice can be offered on any aspect of the process!

Finally, I hope you have all had a wonderful Xmas, and wish you all the very best New Year and 2012, whatever end of year celebrations you may observe.

Thanks and take care

RS

OP
RadioSaigon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
Can anyone provide any insights at all please?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.