Broken hinge on macbook pro 15

Reaction score
HI,

My niece pushed back the screen on my Macbook Pro 15 and broke the hinge. Now, the screen is slightly disconnected from its hinge on the left side. When i close the computer, the top is misaligned. Is there a way to fix this? Is the best option to take it to the Mac Store?
I am no longer under warranty. I've had my Macbook for 3 years.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there a way to fix this?

Sure...replace the hinge (assuming nothing was damaged additionally).

Is the best option to take it to the Mac Store.

The Apple Store is probably your best option if you cannot do it yourself...otherwise a "DIY" project would get it done. This website (iFixIt.com) has procedures & photos.

- Nick

Reaction score
More broken MacBook Pro hinges

Bmwlissa,
I have a similar problem with my MacBook Pro, though I don't have a niece that broke it. I think this is a defect in the product as my computer is just under 3 years old and coming apart at the hinge. I have never dropped or mishandled it. After a little research on the Internet it seems that this is a common problem for late 2008 MacBook pros. I purchased mine early 2009 and unfortunately for me don't have AppleCare. I took it to a Mac store, though not official Apple store, and was told that because I damaged the body I would have to pay $700 to replace the display, not to mention being charged $62 for that sage advice.
I plan to follow up with Apple. A friend has a MacBook air and the case is cracking near the hinges. She said enough people with a similar situation have complained that Apple is dealing with it.
Anyone else out there with similar problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Your best option would be to replace it yourself or deal with the messed up hinge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.