hard drive functioning in other models? (emergency data retrieval)

Reaction score
Long story short. My infant daughter spilled water in my girlfriend's new macbook pro. It is not working. She's not recently back upped, and her exams are coming in two weeks, and she's got a paper to turn in this tuesday.

So we need to get hold of what we can as soon as we can. I hope the hard drive isn't fried.

We've got two other MacBooks at home. One 2007 model macbook, and one 2007 macbook pro. Will the damaged macbook pro's (2010) hard drive fit in any of those?

My little sister has the same model as my girlfriend. I presume if it comes to that I can get hold of her computer and swap the hard drive to see if I can get to the data?

Any special precautions if the above stuff goes? Like, can a damaged hard drive damage the other comps?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
I'm not a computer tech, but after a few thoughts don't see why it wouldn't work as they should be the same drives. The issue would mostly be software related, unless you were running the same OS on both machines? No way to really know which parts of the computer the spill damaged.

I found this thread which is similar, and it seems to have worked. Let's see what more educated folks here have to say, but emergency situations call for emergency solutions!

Also an iFixit guide for a 2007 macbook pro drive swap. Check to see if it's the same model as yours.

Let us know how it works out!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.