New Macbook Pro Questions :/

Reaction score
Hello..
So I'm new to using macs, I recently bought a mac from a best buy, and I went back to another best buy to upgrade to more memory, and they told me that I had gotten the outdated one..... I have since then switched it again because the one they gave me then was giving me little problems here and there and I was still within the 14 days that you get to exchange it. Well now i'm paranoid that I have gotten and outdate once again.

So my questions are..... I just opened my mac a few hours ago... I have to do an update of iPhoto and iTunes that it says was last updated in October.. Should I have to update these, or should my macbook pro already come with this up to date since it's supposed to be the latest one......

2. Should my laptop be charged after just opening it or dead..... The battery was almost full without connecting it or anything upon first removing it from the box.

Any answers you guys could have to make sure I actually do have the latest one would be awesome and very appreciated. I know these question might seem dumb but I'm pretty slow when it comes to macs, I want to feel at ease and make sure I didn't get the wrong outdate one again.

Thanks for the help in advance :)

Reaction score
Buying a new mac doesn't mean it should have the latest software version of iTunes in it (a new version could come out once the laptop left the factory).

I'm not sure I understand the memory part of the question as that has nothing to do with software being up to date or not.

In terms of the battery,if the laptop works right out of the box, why should that be of concern? Enjoy your new mac! :)

Reaction score
Something just does not seem right to me, does it have the new Lion OS? Myself I would ask BB for another MacPro.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It's entirely possible to get a new Mac with software that needs updating depending upon how long the Mac has been in the store and how long it has been since a new software update has been released.

My 2008 MacBook for example is listed as being made in November '08 if I recall correctly. I purchased it in late November and there were still some updates that needed to be done. Check to see if the hardware matches the specs for what you were told you were buying.

OP
R
Reaction score
Buying a new mac doesn't mean it should have the latest software version of iTunes in it (a new version could come out once the laptop left the factory).

I'm not sure I understand the memory part of the question as that has nothing to do with software being up to date or not.

In terms of the battery,if the laptop works right out of the box, why should that be of concern? Enjoy your new mac! :)

Well....The thing is I bought my first on almost two weeks ago.... It was on sale. I didn't know much about being the latest or not I just figured it was because I would imagine if it wasn't they would tell me. I thought something was fishy when apple.com didn't offer my mac. I bought the 320gb one, with 2.3 MHz.. Then I went back just because I saw that apple only offered the 500gb one....and so I told them I wanted to upgrade because I decided I wanted more memory. They then told me that the other best shouldn't have sold me that mac...the 320gb one.....and that was that I got the 500gb one... That one gave me a few little things off...so just to be safe..... I got because I still had time left to switch it. This time.. I switched it for this one, which is the same as the one I just had. The thing is now I feel kinda of paranoid about it being outdated.... Little things that alarm me are having to update certain things, because I figure that the mac should come with everything that was part of the new update.... But I also know that there are things I don't know about and that doesn't have to be the case.... Thank you very much I will try to enjoy it. :p I just want to figure this out.

OP
R
Reaction score
It's entirely possible to get a new Mac with software that needs updating depending upon how long the Mac has been in the store and how long it has been since a new software update has been released.

My 2008 MacBook for example is listed as being made in November '08 if I recall correctly. I purchased it in late November and there were still some updates that needed to be done. Check to see if the hardware matches the specs for what you were told you were buying.

Well I figure, if it is the latest, newest version of the mac.....by the time it enters the store, it should have the latest software.... The new software update happened the day the new mac was updated according to what I've read.... I have also looked at my model number.. It is MD313LL/A....I see online it says this is the late 2011 macbook pro... But I don't quite understand why I have to do all of these downloads.... Thank you very much, your example does comfort me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Well....The thing is I bought my first on almost two weeks ago.... It was on sale. I didn't know much about being the latest or not I just figured it was because I would imagine if it wasn't they would tell me. I thought something was fishy when apple.com didn't offer my mac. I bought the 320gb one, with 2.3 MHz.. Then I went back just because I saw that apple only offered the 500gb one....and so I told them I wanted to upgrade because I decided I wanted more memory. They then told me that the other best shouldn't have sold me that mac...the 320gb one.....and that was that I got the 500gb one... That one gave me a few little things off...so just to be safe..... I got because I still had time left to switch it. This time.. I switched it for this one, which is the same as the one I just had. The thing is now I feel kinda of paranoid about it being outdated.... Little things that alarm me are having to update certain things, because I figure that the mac should come with everything that was part of the new update.... But I also know that there are things I don't know about and that doesn't have to be the case.... Thank you very much I will try to enjoy it. :p I just want to figure this out.

BB is known for loading laptop with enough bell and whistle, sell it at a premium. The rule of thumb is to check the label of the mac, the specs matches the machine. example: the larger hard drive space one cost
same as the smaller one then go for the larger one. For memory sticks never buy from best buy. You are better off buying machine from apple, unless you are going
for the frequent buyer program. BB has one foot stepped into financial ruin. that is all I know.

OP
R
Reaction score
I also just got it and the full charge only last 3 hours.. I know there was some update with the batteries...... I thought my mac should last 7 hours not 3 hours.
:/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
You will never have such problems if you just

purchase from Apple. Either their website or their store.

Go to the Apple logo, top left, then touch "About this Mac." That will tell you all about your MB Pro. And, yes, 3hours is a pretty good battery life, expect a bit less if watching movies. 7 hours is a dream but is attainable on MB Airs.

Reaction score
My little battery icon at top of screen starts out at 9 hours, it seems to jump around as I use the my MacPro. Just a while ago it was showing 3 hours now it is up to 6 hours.
so I don't know just how long the batter will really last and can't say I really care, as I don't take it from home and use the over priced Apple charger a lot.
I don't know about Best Buy going bellyup or care as I got $75 off the overpriced Apple price and will get around $125 more in rewards BB use money.
I just bought it to mess around with since I never had a Mac system, have many PCs and so far the Mac does nothing magic over my PCs.
But since I have a new iPad2 I feel the MacPro will have some use the PCs can't give for the iPad2.

Reaction score
I also just got it and the full charge only last 3 hours.. I know there was some update with the batteries...... I thought my mac should last 7 hours not 3 hours.
:/

it really depends on what you are doing, if you are watching HD videos on youtube you won't get 7 hours of battery but if you are just reading forums and doing some work on office you will get the 7 hours.

Reaction score
No worries you have the latest and greatest MacBook Pro, the 1st BB did sell you an outdated one. Early 2011 had a 2.3 ghz and 320 gig HD, the late 2011 has a 2.4 ghz and a 500 gig HD this is the latest version, as for having to upgrade you software this is normal, I had to do the same thing when I bought my late 2011. It seems as Apple is upgrading iTunes every month LOL so don't worry.
enjoy your new MacBook Pro

Reaction score
No worries you have the latest and greatest MacBook Pro, the 1st BB did sell you an outdated one. Early 2011 had a 2.3 ghz and 320 gig HD, the late 2011 has a 2.4 ghz and a 500 gig HD this is the latest version, as for having to upgrade you software this is normal, I had to do the same thing when I bought my late 2011. It seems as Apple is upgrading iTunes every month LOL so don't worry.
enjoy your new MacBook Pro

My new Mac book Pro bought at BestBuy has a 2.8Ghz i7 Intel processor. Maybe mine is the early 2012 Model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
They haven't done an update for 2012 just yet. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Yeah, how come car makers get away with that? :)
Magazine subscriptions too... I have some issues here that were claiming to be from 2012 and I got them weeks ago.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.