Confused as to which Mac to buy

Reaction score
My school is switching over to mostly iMacs and OSX Lion has really grown on me. I like the Unix usability and the simplicity of the iMac system. Since I have access to Macs at school I'm just looking for a desktop system. I want to be able to be able to do photoshop, play StarCraft II in better graphics than I do now, eventually add a nice speaker system, and code in the C++, assembly, Python, and other languages. My questions are:

How would I go about getting a nice speaker system for an iMac?

Would the standard $1200 iMac suit my needs?

Since it only has USB 2.0 ports, would I be screwed if the industry switched over to 3.0?

Thank you for your time!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Any good electronics store (or online store) will have external speakers.

Probably. Depends how "deep" you get into Photoshop...and how much gaming you do.

play StarCraft II in better graphics than I do now,

Kind of difficult to say...we have no idea what detail level you currently run StarCraft II at.

Since it only has USB 2.0 ports, would I be screwed if the industry switched over to 3.0?

It will most likely be backwards compatible.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have a set of Boston Acoustics I picked up that sound great. There are plenty that will work - just depends on how deep your pockets are.

Depending on how much gaming you really expect to do, the $1200 will not work as well as the iMac with the 1GB vid card with more RAM. Honestly, if gaming is your focus, go with a PC that you can change out cards and such.

For Photoshop, upgrade the CPU and up the amount of RAM and you will see a noted difference. The video card will not make much of a difference for Photoshop.

Not screwed at all. I have a few USB 3 drives that work fine with my MBP. If we get lucky, Thunderbolt will be the new standard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.