All my icons/applications disappeared on Lion

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my I have a macbook pro 13 (2011), It was working fine until today after I rename the username under Macintosh HD/Users, now everything is out of other. To make a long story short, After I rename it, I logged out, now all my icons that was on the desktop are gone, my applications that was in the dock are all gone. However, When I go to Macintosh HD/Users, I do see 2 user profiles (one of them has all of my files exactly how how they were before and the other one looks like a home, but has none of my file)...What can I do to sort this out and make my computer come to normal? Please help me somebody.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You did a "no no". Never rename your home folder without first following the Apple instructions and making a backup first.

See this article on how to recover it: LINK

OP
L
Reaction score
You did a "no no". Never rename your home folder without first following the Apple instructions and making a backup first.

See this article on how to recover it: LINK

Yes, that's exactly what happen! Everything look like when you reinstall the os with everything fresh! I wish I knew this before, I feel so stupid for listening to my friend! I will definitely try what you suggested because that's exactly the problem I'm facing!

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly what happen! Everything look like when you reinstall the os with everything fresh! I wish I knew this before, I feel so stupid for listening to my friend! I will definitely try what you suggested because that's exactly the problem I'm facing!

Thank you so much I fixed it! Here's how I did(remember I'm using Lion): Go to System Preferences, then click on User & Groups, then click "the lock to make changes" at the bottom left corner, then right click on the current user and choose Advanced Options. From there you can choose home directory and then type the correct user name and then hit ok(in my case I type the name that has my all my files). Everything came back to normal after I restart my computer! I think the problem was the home directory was pointing to a new one that was created, which had none of my information in it!

anyways thank you, I hope this will also help somebody who is facing the same problem! That was how I fixed mine!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, good to hear everything is back to normal. Now be sure to start making backups on a regular basis. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.