Self-Assigned IP Address

Reaction score
So earlier today I decided I was going to take a crack at putting xbox live onto my xbox after a couple days of having it. I thought it would be a very easy process. It wasn't.

My Xbox is located in the basement, where there is a router that never gets used down there. I decided to hook up the router to the internet and to the xbox (The router is a TP-LINK, just if anyone needs to know). The WAN and Port 1 lights are lit whenever I plug the router into the wall (for internet) and the xbox (to so the internet connects to the xbox) so everything appeared to be working fine. But it didn't. The Xbox told me it couldn't connect to the internet, and the error was that there was no IP adress assigned.

I then went onto my mac to see if I could solve the problem using Network settings. I couldn't. I tried giving myself a manual IP, but it didn't work. I then used the "assist" me tab on the Network settings, and went through all the steps. I restarted everything, but to no avail.

So that leaves me here. What does self assigned IP mean? Can I fix it?

When I go to Network -> Advanced -> TCP/IP, I get this:
Configure IPv4: Using DHCP
IPv4 Adress: Number is here
Subnet Mask: Number is here
Router: Nothing here (I'm thinking this is the problem)

Any help is appreciated.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Trying to figure out your setup so we can help. Do you have more than one router connected to the internet? What Internet you using? Company and whether it's DSL or Cable. Where do you have the modem hooked up to?

OP
C
Reaction score
Trying to figure out your setup so we can help. Do you have more than one router connected to the internet? What Internet you using? Company and whether it's DSL or Cable. Where do you have the modem hooked up to?

Thanks for the quick reply. I have two routers that are supposed to be connected to the internet, but only one actually works. The one that works I cannot use for the xbox, because it is simply too far away.

The company of the router is TP-LINK. The internet is DSL.

The router that WORKS is connected directly to the modem, while the router that isn't working isn't. The modem is connected into the wall, which should give internet to the router that doesn't work.

Sorry if I didn't answer all of your questions, I don't have much knowledge in this. Just trying to get my Xbox hooked up ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You really can not plug 2 routers into the port on a DSL modem if it's just a DSL modem and not a Modem/Router. You can plug the 2nd router into one of the LAN ports on the 1st router and turn off DHCP in the 2nd router.

If your DSL works like AT&T's, you have 2 routers trying to log in to DSL PPPoE and that will not work.

If you can try this. DSL modem Directly into the WAN (Internet) port on the main router. The router should work fine. Then run a Cat-5 Cable from one of the typical 4 LAN ports on the 1st Router to a LAN port on the 2nd router. Before you do that, log into the 2nd router with a web browser (Typical IP is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1) and turn off DHCP on that 2nd router.

Unless I am misunderstanding the way you have them connected now, this should solve it. I have maybe 10 routers in my house all connected to the main router and using them for Access points.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.