Wiped Hard Drive, now can't install Lion

Reaction score
Recently I have been experiencing trouble with my Macbook Pro (2009 model) while running Lion, which I purchased in the Mac App Store. I figured that I've built up quite a bit of unnecessary junk files on my harddrive, so as I would do occasionally with Leopard and Snow Leopard, I decided to wipe the harddrive and reinstall the OS for a nice, fresh start.

Since I didn't have any physical copy of Lion, I thought it best to use my Snow Leopard install DVD to wipe the harddrive, install Snow Leopard and then re-download Lion from the Mac App Store. After returning to factory settings in Snow Leopard, the App Store is telling me that I need to repurchase Lion from the App Store to download it, though I previously purchased it before. I am using the same Apple ID and everything.

Can anyone see any way around paying $30 for software that I've already purchased?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I assume that you have already updated Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 which I believe is the correct version for the App store to function properly. When you open the App Sore and click on purchases at the top of the screen what happens? Doesn't your list of previous purchases appear?

OP
C
Reaction score
yes, I am running 10.6.8 snow leopard. When I click on purchases, other apps that I have previously downloaded come up, such as Evernote and Twitter, but not OSX Lion.

C

chas_m

Just contact Apple with the email receipt you got when you purchased Lion. They'll give you a credit for re-downloading it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Strangest thing happened this morning. I restarted my computer and it booted into the Lion Installer, so I was able to install Lion this morning. Running fine now. Thanks for all your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.