IPad 1 and wireless keyboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
This is one instance where Google isn't working. I get three consistent answers - Yes, No, Maybe.

I have an IPad 1, with IOS 4.2.1

Anybody know if the Apple wireless keyboard can be used with it? Particularly without updating to IOS 5. The reason I say that, is the last two upgrade attempts that I saw with the version 1 hardware got bricked. Really hard - that is, dead and buried. And the Apple store is a LONG way down the road.

The reason for the above is that I have a customer who does not allow any portable machines on the premises that have working USB ports (dumb, I know, but the customer is always right - especially on payday), so my Macbook air is out. My IPad would work to take notes in a conference, but not with me pecking out one letter at a time on a capacitive screen.

Anybody got an IPad 1 with keyboard?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have paired my iPad 1 with Apple's Bluetooth keyboard and it worked fine. I haven't used it extensively that way. Did it more to see how well it worked. I didn't have any problems. I think I was running 4.2.1 at the time.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I regually use my Apple new small Blue Tooth keyboard with my 1st Generation iPad. I used it back in the IOS 4.2 days as well as now with 5.0 and it pairs and works great.

Any reason why you will not upgrade to IOS5? It VERY nice.

C

chas_m

I can verify that I was able to pair my Apple Bluetooth Keyboard as well as a third-party BT keyboard to the original iPad BEFORE I updated to iOS 5, which btw is awesome, I don't know why you're having such trouble with that ... but the answer to your question is "yes."

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Any reason why you will not upgrade to IOS5? It VERY nice.

Just that the experiences of two associates with IPad 1's who tried to upgrade to 5, and the machines died on the spot. Dead. At least until they got them back from Apple service.

I will try it someday when I don't need to use it. Maybe. Or maybe I will just get an IPad 3. Or 4.

Or maybe a Microsoft tablet. They say they have one coming out that will kill the IPad as dead as the bricked machines. Of course, IMHO, with Balmer at the helm, they couldn't bring out a tablet that would successfully run DOS, so I don't plan in saving up my money to be first in line.

Thanks for the input everyone.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Everyone here with iPad 1st Generations has upgraded and had no issues except on Launch day when it took 20 tries to get the update.

Microsoft tablet OS with those large icons all over gives me the willies! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.