iPad or MacBook

Reaction score
I am looking into owning some form of a mobile computer. Hands down it will be an Apple. But now the problem is: iPad or MacBook? I've looked into some of the differences, but I am still having an issue deciding. I understand the price difference is nice, but am I losing a lot by choosing the iPad over a MacBook? I already own a desktop computer, it is unfortunately a Windows run Compaq. Nothing special, just enough for what I need until I can upgrade to a Mac at a later time. I'm mostly looking for something that will be handy when I start up school again. I don't think I will need a lot of memory, just enough to store documents and maybe music if I even decide to put my music on to the iPad/MacBook. So basically my question comes down to: What are the real pros and cons between the two? And if the iPad would work, what memory is possibly the best for me to go with?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My humble opinion is...if someone doesn't have a Mac laptop computer...I would recommend getting the Mac laptop BEFORE an iPad. I see the iPad as a nice "augment" to a laptop...not a replacement.

But...if you said that you ONLY need a laptop for e-mail & internet...then an iPad (for portability)...in addition to your desktop...might be a a good combination.:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
I was wondering that myself. I really wasn't a fan of the whole "tablet" phase until I started looking into it. I think in the end I really would prefer a laptop, but the price difference is unfortunately a big deal because of other costs. But, I worry that I may need the addition space with schooling, and plus it would be an ideal computer because I am NOT a fan of Windows. I'll just have to keep trying my options and see where I can end up. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have both and use both but as Nick pointed out the iPad is not a computer substitution and Jobs even pointed this out in his keynote it is an augment to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which one?
Given that your computer is a Windows computer, I suggest getting the Macbook and give up the Windows world!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I have both an Ipad 2 and Imac and use both everyday .I think Ipads are good for work and entertainment but doing serious applications I would consider a desktop or Notebook over an Ipad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.