SONY DVD RW DW-U10A plays cds but not dvds

Reaction score
The title says it all. It plays all cds I shove in it , but it won't play dvds that I've bought or made. Why does it play only cds?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
From the sound of things the superdrive must be in s MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac or Mac Mini. These all use slot loaders which have a very high failure rate alas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
CD and DVD use different sized "grooves" for want of a better word, and quite often this happens when the laser is failing, or it may be that it's just dirty.
Blowing air onto the laser lens can clean it, or a disc based cleaner can work (others don't like them, but I have had no issues with them).
I would try cleaning the laser anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
After Kevriano's suggestion, the superdrive is failing. It is eight years old now. Simple job to install a new DVR in a G5 PowerMac.

C

chas_m

In fact actually the superdrive uses two DIFFERENT lasers to read CDs and DVDs, and one of the lasers has either failed or is dirty.

But I agree with harryb2448 -- it's not worth futzing with unless a quick dap of compressed air fixes the issue, just replace the thing it's long past its prime and very cheap to replace.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.