MBP 2011 comes with no CDs in the box!

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought MBP 13inch Late 2011, 2.4 GHz i5 with 4GB RAM.
I checked the box and it seems no CDs (I used to find two CDs; one for the OS another for Applications).

I went back to the store and they told me that all new MBPs come without CDs.

is it true?
FYI, I bought it from Jarir bookstore, Saudi Arabia.

MXG

Reaction score
No CDs when I opened mine the other day. I prefer it that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Lion does not come on CDs. Any problems use the Recovery Partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB
most laptops now come with a recovery partition or you have to make you own its so they spend less and make more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Actually, you're both wrong. Reducing disks, also reduces waste and a lot of overhead. Reducing overhead drives prices down for us, the consumers. Aperture used to cost $200 when it was on disk, it is now $79. It also allows software makers to focus resources and set prices accordingly. For example, the old Final Cut Studio, was one big ol' program and it cost over $1000.

As it stands now, Final Cut Pro is under $500, but will likely have additional plugins to add, with added costs for those who desire or need them. I guess I could go on, but hopefully part of the point is taken.

Doug

Reaction score
It is about the $$$ plain and simple.

Don't let any of these apple fanboys BS you, they want to take your money at every turn.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
anyway you can download this to a usb to create a recovery "disk" if you ever need to reinstall your OS

Lion Recovery Disk Assistant

You certainly can, but you don't need to. I want to make sure everyone understands this, because there seems to be a lot of misconception about how Lion's recovery options work....

Yes, you can make a disc and that disc will make Lion installable on a clean hard drive that doesn't have the recovery partition.

But if you have an existing Lion install and want to do a clean install, your system drive will have a hidden recovery partition. Even if you erase the disk, the partition is still there.

If you haven't made the disc and have to replace your internal hard drive, newer Macs (the models that DO NOT ship with a recovery disc) have a mode known as "Internet Recovery", whereby they will connect to Apple's servers, download the needed data, build the recovery partition and do a clean install of the OS. This is time intensive (obviously), but it does give you the option to do a disc-less clean install.

Why does it matter? Why not just use the disc and call it a day? Very simple, using the recovery partition is a heck of a lot faster than having to burn the disc and subsequently waiting for the install to proceed from the disc. Your hard drive is several orders of magnitude faster than your optical drive.

And Andres, it has nothing to do with being a fanboy and everything to do with educating people who are set in their ways and making things more efficient.

As far as Apple's motive goes for eliminating the disc, there seems to be a lot of speculation that it somehow pads their bottom line. But for what they'll spend on bandwidth in relation to a $0.15 disc, I highly doubt that it's a cash cow for them. It's more likely due to the fact that they've been on a mission to eliminate ODDs from their lineup.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Don't let any of these apple fanboys BS you, they want to take your money at every turn.

Not so sure it's quite that cut and dry - nor is the term fanboy really relevant as far as I can see in this thread. The reality is - it's about progress. We used to have to buy disks for everything - I for one am thrilled that I can get most of my software as a download and the few programs that still require ordering a disk - tend not to get ordered because I , like many others - demand immediate gratification. Specifically regarding the OS, there used to be hundreds of threads about folks who can't find their disks - lost, didn't come with the Mac if it was a resell, etc etc - that was a problem that this approach eliminates.

It's just the natural evolution of things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And heavens above Microsoft do this now also for their fans. Office, Windows 7 etc are just the start. All software and applications within three years will be by download with no DVDs in sight.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I noticed that when purchasing Windows 7 or Office from the Microsoft on line store that they're charging an additional $14.95 for the disks. :$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB

Its the old double edge sword scenario. yes its cuts waste,mfr costs,shipment weight . But if they put it on the hdd you dont have to remember where you put the disk or keep it safe as its on your computer. The down side you have to be more tech savvy to find the option for every pro there is a con.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.