How long is your battery lasting on your 13" mid-2011 MacBook Air?

Reaction score
As the title says, how long is your battery lasting in your 13" mid-2011 MacBook Air? I think so far I am only getting a few hours. It's kind of hard to tell exactly as I have not had a lot of time to sit and play with it at one sitting. I have spent a lot of time doing updates, installing programs and apps and fine-tuning settings in programs.
I thought I was supposed to get around 7 hours. I don't think I am even getting 4, but I did just turn down the brightness on the monitor from the brightest setting to a few bars above the lowest setting.
I am not sure that my battery meter is working properly either.
Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I have a 13" Air, bought July 21 / 2011 - the day they came out. I never actually measured the battery time, but I can say that while I carry a charger around with me in the satchel, I have never had to plug it in on the road.

I do very little work that runs the processor at high power - just surfing, reading and programming, so I probably get the best usage possible. I can say, that after a four hour session with hobbyist buddies at an Internet cafe, my battery usually shows over 70 percent full.

You didn't say what you use it for, but quite a few times I have discovered a stuck process that was running the CPU wide open (Using the terminal app Top and looking for something running a constant 90+ percent) which not only hammers the battery but heats up the clamshell considerably.

My rule of thumb is, if I can hear the fan, something is running that shouldn't be. Unless it is the rare occasion that I am viewing a flash or movie file.

IStat Pro, Temperature Monitor and Coconut Battery are really good apps for a MacBook user to have running. They will tell you real quickly that something isn't kosher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Mine routinely does 6-7 hours

of what I call normal use but that is a moving target, "normal use." I don't watch movies on mine which really eat up the battery. Apple claims the stand-by life of a closed MBAir is 20-30 days and that is probably accurate. Closer to 30 days but who leaves theirs untouched for that long?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's kind of hard to tell exactly as I have not had a lot of time to sit and play with it at one sitting. I have spent a lot of time doing updates, installing programs and apps and fine-tuning settings in programs.

Any advice?

I would say spend a little more time with this computer to get a better feel for the total battery "runtime" on a full charge that it is getting under more "normal" conditions.:)

Common big "energy hog" activities are:

- anything that involves a lot of disk activity (HD or optical drive)
- watching DVD movies
- You-Tube or internet videos
- high brightness setting on display

Smaller "energy hog" activities/settings:

- playing music with the volume turned up loud
- high brightness on the keyboard backlighting
- bluetooth on

- Nick

OP
MacLicious
Reaction score
I was looking for a setting to change for the keyboard backlighting but couldn't find it. Where do I find that?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was looking for a setting to change for the keyboard backlighting but couldn't find it. Where do I find that?

Should be in the top row of the keyboard (the "function key" row).

- Nick

OP
MacLicious
Reaction score
Ya, it's the F1 key but it is only changing the screen brightness. I couldn't find anything for the backlit keyboard so far.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
MacLicious
Reaction score
I wasn't looking on the keyboard for settings. Just under System Preferences. OMG, thanks. You are right. I guess I am guilty of not reading my user's manual. Thanks and I will read it before I ask any more dumb questions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
I manage 6 or so hours out of the 11in MBA, so if you're only clipping four it really would make me wonder if the battery is charging properly, or holding it's charge properly.

OP
MacLicious
Reaction score
Well, I am now at the point that I have finished installing any little extras and tweaking settings so now I will see what I get over time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wasn't looking on the keyboard for settings. Just under System Preferences. OMG, thanks.

Didn't I say "keyboard" above??;)

Great that you found the controls!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.