I would love some help. Please.

Reaction score
To be honest, I am a little lost on how to get started properly backing up this system the way I would like. I'm 100% n00b...and only understand basic computer information, but I am excellent following direction from those who are talented with computers.

I hope to describe said issue/equipment properly, if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask me :Blushing:

Here we go...

I have a 2010 IMAC running OSX 10.6.8

We have (1) external harddrive which is the primary storage area for all basic files, which we purchased at the same time as the computer. Any programs for said computer (ie. mail, imovie, microsoft office, etc.) is stored only on the computer hard drive currently.

I have just recently purchased an additional hard drive, I would like to backup the following:
emails, any computer programs, and any important documents

since the 1st original hard drive only has important docs on it, I would like to backup all of the above to the "old" external as well.

Basically, I would like to keep one external at a seperate location, so just in case something happens to said computer we have everything we need. I also would like to find out how to have scheduled backups made so everything is as up-to-date as it can be.

I would appreciate any assistance for what I would like to accomplish. I'm a little hesitant about how to get started/what to do, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

ETA:
I have posted to an additional board on this site also because I am not sure where this problem lies...and I don't want to upset some people. I apologize if I have done so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
I would suggest moving all of your basic files from your external drive onto your iMac first. That will free up the "old" external drive you have and you can have 2 empty external drives. Then I would format both external drives using Disk Utility (which is a program on Mac OSX) to Mac OS Extended Journaled. Here's a link to a tutorial on how to do that Apple Format HD to Mac OS Journaled **Most importantly move all files to the iMac BEFORE you format the drives as it will erase your data with the format** Next step is to choose one drive that you want to stay with the iMac and set it up with Time Machine. Here's a link on how to do that. Apple Time Machine. Time Machine allows you to restore the entire HD or just certain files or apps which comes in handy if you accidentally delete something important. You now have several options for the second external that you will keep offsite. I would suggest either using SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner as either of those will make a bootable backup onto that HD (which simply means it will be an exact copy of the HD that you can boot too if something fails as well as restore from) You can search those two online to find out more info. Again, this is only the way I would suggest, there are many ways to go about backing up data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.