cookie stumbler

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this app?Cookie Stumbler Express is now in the app store and I installed it yesterday on my macbook.It was nothing but a nuisance,deleting all the cookies that made my add-ons on Chrome and Safari work properly.I had about 10 tabs trying to open at once after the first time I ran cookie stumbler with their start pages as though i had just installed them.Does anyone think these cookies are bad?Is an app like this really necessary?It found over 1000 cookies on my mac ,is this usual?I don't want to go through this hassle every time I run the app,it's supposed to make browsers run more efficiently.:[

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
An app that deletes cookies isn't necessary since both Safari and Chrome offer a way to do it through their respective preferences. Some cookies are necessary as they store login information and certain other information that may be necessary in order to access the site. For example: On line banking.

OP
V
Reaction score
I have Chrome and Safari set not to allow 3rd party cookies so how could cookie stumbler find so many cookies?I know some are necessary but surely not over 1000? When i look to see how many are listed on chrome there are only a hundred or so.Where are all the others?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
In most cases, cookies will store any piece of data that needs to be saved between visits. Think of how often a site remembers something. Multiply that since many domains that you don't directly visit will create cookies to store settings (such as ads). When you start to consider how often something stores a piece of information, 1000 doesn't seem so unreasonable (especially if you never delete them). For instance, I have a cookie stored from Adobe which holds the locale such that anytime I visit their website, I'm directed to the appropriate page for my locale. As you can see, it can be something very simple.

Let me use myself as an example. I live in two browsers: Opera and Chrome. Chrome has stored 1853 cookies from 708 different domains. I don't have a count for Opera but the number will be huge (the list is quite long).

C

chas_m

Cookies are *broadly speaking* harmless and don't interfere with the normal operation of the browser, you got scammed IMO.

Uninstall the cookie stumbler, set your browser's cookie settings the way you want, and live a happy life.

OP
V
Reaction score
Well ,thanks for the reassuring words,so much for my £4.99!I gave the app a terrible review on the Store so maybe others won't be taken in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.