What is LSD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2 GHz
And i dont mean the drug...

My MBP is getting very hot recently causing the fans to run at full speed constantly. This is when i am just browsing the internet with just chrome open. Not loading videos or image heavy pages.

I have opened 'activity monitor' and it is showing something called 'lsd' is taking up around 98% of the CPU. (see picture)

picutre

what is it? and how can i make the fans calm down?

Thanks in advance

Jack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
Not exactly sure what LSD is, but have you tried to restart the computer? Alot of time that may fix the issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Do you have Little Snitch installed ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Never seen that one before... Is this every time that you're using Chrome? Or just the individual instance?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2 GHz
In the past i have had little snitch installed but not at the moment.

When the fan is going normal speed and i check activity monitor it doesnt seem to be doing anything.

picture

it gives me the option to quit it but i dont know whether it would do anything and if i did do it what would happen.

Reaction score
LSD is the LittleSnitch daemon. If you don't have it installed anymore you didn't uninstall it right.
Look in /Library and see if there is a Little Snitch folder. If there is, delete it (after killing the process in Activity Monitor).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
lsd is the Little Snitch daemon. It's still running (obviously) which may mean that it was uninstalled improperly. Reinstall it and use the uninstaller.

EDIT: cradom has quicker fingers than I!

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2 GHz
yeah turned out i didn't have little snitch uninstalled at all....

i have done that and taken the keyboard plate out and taken loads of fluff out of the thing the fan is trying to keep cool and it seems to be a lot happier. thanks people :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.