3 Best Apps for My New Year’s Resolution to LOSE WEIGHT!

Reaction score
Fellow fatties (er… I mean friends :p)…like so many of you, in 3 days, I’m embarking on my annual new year’s resolution to lose weight. I’m sure many of you have downloaded the free calorie tracker apps like Lose It, Livestrong, or MyFitnessPal. The problem is that I’ve tried these and I absolutely HATE counting calories! I last about four days and then fizzle out.

But alas! I have found some apps on App Advice’s “best of” list and these are definitely going to be in my weight loss cabinet! I’ve downloaded them all, and listed my favorite three apps from their list.

My absolute favorite: intelli-Diet
iTunes Link: App Store - intelli-Diet App | Weight Loss App
Why I like it: For those like me who don’t like counting calories, this is the Rolls-Royce of meal planning. It automatically provides the foods I should be eating and even calculates the exact portion sizes.

My second favorite: FoodTrackerPro
iTunes Link: App Store - FoodTrackerPro - Daily Eating Log
Why I like it: This app doesn’t provide meal plans, but is good at keeping tabs at the number of servings I should be eating across all the different food groups. Big thing again, no counting calories for these.

My last one: GymBuddy
Why I like it: Although this one isn’t a diet app, you need something to keep track of your exercise. But I think you need to continuously improve to get healthier, not just do the same thing you did last week. I like this app because it time and date stamps every set and rep you peform. Pretty useful if you ask me.

I’ve been using all 3 inter-changably since I binged during Christmas with the relatives and so far, so good! I’d be interested to hear what other people like or have used. I’d like to keep this to apps that don’t force you to count calories though. There are so many of those, so let me know if you find any meal planner apps that aren’t on this list

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I haven't found an APP I really like yet.

For one thing I find zero value in tracking calories. And, I find most of the diet advice/guidance in APPs to be misinformed, confusing, conflicting or any combination of the three.

I admit to being biased, since I follow (when I am sticking to it) a reduced carbohydrate lifestyle, still definitely agree that doing some sort of daily log helps in sticking to your program.

The best log I have found is MyNetDiary it is really detailed but kind of a PITR to work with.

Good luck and hope things work out well for you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most common New Year's resolutions that are broken before Jan 31st:

1. Give up smoking

2. Lose weight

3. Make more money

4. Develop better relationships

;P

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Most common New Year's resolutions that are broken before Jan 31st:

1. Give up smoking

2. Lose weight

3. Make more money

4. Develop better relationships

;P

I always resolve every year to gain weight and pick up one new bad habit. That way I am covered either direction. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.