Network printer

Reaction score
Can i connect my network printer trough ethernet to my TC?
It's a HP laserjet and i havn't got a parallel port to usb.
So Can i connect the printer with Ethernet?
I already tried to connect each other but it does nothing...

Jannes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
TC is Time Capsule?

Does the HP LaserJet have ethernet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Just my take on this hook it up to the Mac first hit software update to see if any newer updates are available then disconnect from the Mac and connect via ethernet to the TC and print test page thats what i did with an HP 6380 and the AEBS works great.

OP
J
Reaction score
This does not work. When i connect the printer with eternet to my PC it does nothing...
When i plug the printer into the Timecapsule, i don't know how to find it and connect to it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
This does not work. When i connect the printer with eternet to my PC it does nothing...
When i plug the printer into the Timecapsule, i don't know how to find it and connect to it...

To the best of my memory all networking printers have a USB connection I meant for you to use the USB for initial setup then disconnect and use ethernet connection to TC. I have mine on shared and in Finder it will show
up as shared so all on my LAN can use it and it does not show up in my AEBS only USB connected printers will show up there. I bookmark the printer IP to do quick adjustments or maintenance.

OP
J
Reaction score
This does not fit my problem.

If i connect the printer with the usb port, then i install it.
After the installation i plug it with the ethernet connection in my TC...

And it doesn't recongnize my printer.
Just gives Printer is offline...

Reaction score
You can't set up this printer using one connection and then use another type of connection to actually print to it. That won't work.

An HP 4000n is a workgroup laser printer (IE geared toward business users rather than home users). You can still use it, but it will take a few steps to get it working.

We haven't used these printers at work for about 5-6 years now, but occasionally I still have to set up or repair them when I do come across them. I don't remember the exact steps (button presses) to do some of these commands, but I could look it up if you have specific questions.

After steps 2 and 3, wait about 2-3 minutes for the network settings to take effect. These older printers are sometimes really slow when making TCP/IP setting changes.

1. Plug the printer into your Time Capsule via Ethernet.

2. You will need to make sure the printer is set to DHCP. This will allow it to pull an IP address from the Time Capsule as well as clear out any TCP/IP and/or DNS settings that it may have previously had. The easiest way to do this is a "cold reset." You can find instructions for your specific model by doing a Google search.

3. Optional - Set a static IP address. This will prevent loss of connectivity if the IP address changes. You will need to set it to an IP address that is not in your DHCP scope, so that the Time Capsule will not accidentally give out that IP address to another device on your network. If you don't do this step, you may lose connectivity if the DHCP lease runs out and the printer pulls a different IP address.

4. On your Mac, under System Preferences > Print & Scan you will see on the left side under "Printers" a + and - icon at the bottom. Click the + icon. Your printer should be listed in the menu. Click the printer name and follow any prompts to install the printer.

OP
J
Reaction score
After step 2 i'm stuck.
I don't understand what you mean. I searched google for static ip etc. But i'm NAT configured... Is there any problem if you are NAT configured?

Thx in advance for the help :)

Jannes

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.