downgrade from 10.7 to 10.5

Reaction score
I have a macbook that has lion installed but I want to downgrade to 10.5. I have the 10.5 install discs which came from an older iMac. Will I be able to simply insert the discs to remove lion and install 10.5?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a macbook that has lion installed but I want to downgrade to 10.5. I have the 10.5 install discs which came from an older iMac. Will I be able to simply insert the discs to remove lion and install 10.5?

Depends on exactly which model MacBook you have. All Apple computers are limited to a minimum (or oldest) OS version that can be installed on them.

So for example...if a MacBook model was released in "Late 2009" the oldest OS version that can be installed on it would be a version of OS 10.6 (OS 10.5 wouldn't work).

Also...even if your MacBook is "old enough" to install OS 10.5 on it...those gray/silver disks from an older iMac will not work on it. Those gray/silver discs are model specific...so gray/silver iMac disks will not work on a MacBook.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
I want to downgrade my macbook pro, made in china! late 2011. Is this possible?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No it's not. Why would you want to downgrade all the way to Leopard? Many bugs that were never fixed and a much slower OS than Snow Leopard and Lion. Your 2011 MBP is probably going to need at least Snow Leopard. What OS did it ship with?

Nick above told you the facts. You can not install older versions of OSX on a Mac that came with a newer version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I can somewhat understand wanting to downgrade to Snow Leopard (10.6) if you have some PowerPC apps that will not run on Lion. But 10.5 is very old now, and unsupported by Apple.

OP
T
Reaction score
My imac has leopard installed I have no issues with this OS, I would like to run the same OS on both my computers.

Could I downgrade my MBP late 2011 to snow leopard? the MBP came installed with lion, which I have several issues with.

OP
T
Reaction score
My imac has leopard installed I have no issues with this OS, I would like to run the same OS on both my computers.

Could I downgrade my MBP late 2011 to snow leopard? the MBP came installed with lion, which I have several issues with.

I do not have time machine. If its possible to downgrade I will buy a SL install disk.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

No you cannot. All "Late 2011" MacBook Pro's came preinstalled with OS 10.7.2...which means this is the minimum OS version that they will run on them.

This is one of the parameters that must be considered when purchasing a brand new model Macintosh. Some older applications may not work with OS 10.7...and some older hardware may not work with OS 10.7.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
One tip.....stick with Lion.

You cannot go backwards to any older operating system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I need to reinstall OS on my MacBook Pro. It originally came with OS X 10.5, then I upgraded to OS X 10.7. When I use the original CD's that came (10.5) and reboot, it just starts rebooting and I never get to the installation page.

Same applies when I access the 10.5 CD and reboot from the installation point "Click the button below to restart your computer and begin the installation process."

Am I doing something wrong? I think I should be able to downgrade to the original OS with the original software? Need to do a clean install since I don't think I can do it with 10.7 as I bough that one on the App Store. At least I don't know how to do it. When I login to the App Store, it tells me the 10.7 is installed, and it's grayed out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I need to reinstall OS on my MacBook Pro. It originally came with OS X 10.5, then I upgraded to OS X 10.7. When I use the original CD's that came (10.5) and reboot, it just starts rebooting and I never get to the installation page.

Same applies when I access the 10.5 CD and reboot from the installation point "Click the button below to restart your computer and begin the installation process."

Am I doing something wrong? I think I should be able to downgrade to the original OS with the original software? Need to do a clean install since I don't think I can do it with 10.7 as I bough that one on the App Store. At least I don't know how to do it. When I login to the App Store, it tells me the 10.7 is installed, and it's grayed out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Update: The CD (10.5) works just fine on my older MacBook Pro, also originally came with the 10.5, now on 10.7. Was able to boot to it and get to the new installation.

My other MacBook Pro still restarts after trying to boot to the same original CD - please help!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
To help with the Lion problem in the App Store. When opening the Mac App Store hold down the Option key and now Lion won't be greyed out and you can go about your day no problems.
Not sure what is happening when booting. As long as the Disk's are the Grey machine specific installation media then you should be fine.
Did you hold down the 'c' key or 'option' key when trying to boot from the DVD??

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
To help with the Lion problem in the App Store. When opening the Mac App Store hold down the Option key and now Lion won't be greyed out and you can go about your day no problems.
Not sure what is happening when booting. As long as the Disk's are the Grey machine specific installation media then you should be fine.
Did you hold down the 'c' key or 'option' key when trying to boot from the DVD??

Cheers

I was able to hold the Option key and now it's downloading. Not sure where, but it is. Any suggestions on if I can do a clean install from the Lion once it's downloaded? If so, how?

Yes, I tried with the "c" key, still just restarting. However, my other MacBook Pro got no issues with the same DVD :-(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.