Looking for some help with my mdd g4

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just picked up a G4 MDD 867mhz Dual Proccessor for 20 bucks on c-list..I love mac's and couldn't pass up such a good deal. It came with a 120 gb and 80 gb hard drive and a Superdrive(dvdrw).

A few questions I'd like to ask if someone can help, I replaced the fan with a quieter faster one and it seems to be idling at about 42-44c. Does this seem like a good temp? I was messing around and opened all office programs,ilife and itunes and stuff and it still only hit 45. Seems good but I'm not sure?...

Next is how can I improve the graphics? It has the geforce4 mx(EWW)...Really old and is 32 Mbs. I have a PC version of the ati 9200se which would be a good step up if someone could help me flash it.

Next and final is should I keep leopard on here or put tiger on it. It seems to be running great with leopard with minimal hiccups.

I appreciate anybody who read through this and can give me some help. Thanks and happy holidays!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Those temps seem perfectly normal to me. You could replace the fan if you wanted to make it more quiet though.

Graphics cards for Macs are picky, and more often than not, Flashed cards don't work either.

The best graphics card that you can get for this model (that I know of) would be the GeForce4 Ti graphics card with 128MB of VRAM.

OP
C
Reaction score
Those temps seem perfectly normal to me. You could replace the fan if you wanted to make it more quiet though.

Graphics cards for Macs are picky, and more often than not, Flashed cards don't work either.

The best graphics card that you can get for this model (that I know of) would be the GeForce4 Ti graphics card with 128MB of VRAM.

Awesome, Yeah I did replace the fan and I have it on a fan controller.

That sucks about the graphics cards. I knew they were a pain for macs so I didn't expect much. Thanks!! I'm going to be picking up a couple of powerbook g4s here soon so those should be a bit better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For the MDD look for an ATI Radeon 9600 or a 9800. The 9800 must be a Mac Pro and there were a number of 9600's made for both PC and Mac. As a rule of thumb a PC card will never work in a Mac, unless it is a special model or has been flashed. Flahing is like the lottery. You pays your money and takes your chances.

Sometimes chances are you end up with a dead card that will not work at all in either system.

And the powerbooks will only be better if they have much faster processors such as the 1.42Ghz.

OP
C
Reaction score
For the MDD look for an ATI Radeon 9600 or a 9800. The 9800 must be a Mac Pro and there were a number of 9600's made for both PC and Mac. As a rule of thumb a PC card will never work in a Mac, unless it is a special model or has been flashed. Flahing is like the lottery. You pays your money and takes your chances.

Sometimes chances are you end up with a dead card that will not work at all in either system.

And the powerbooks will only be better if they have much faster processors such as the 1.42Ghz.

Honestly this thing has slowed down sooo much in the past few days.... Not sure what I did to it. It still runs just as cool and such but it keeps randomly freezing trieing to do the simplest of things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like you have a failing hard drive. Any chance ou got the system install discs and can repair disk when booted from the disc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Yes, that does sound like a failing hard drive. Go into Disk Utility and check the S.M.A.R.T Status, it should say "Verified"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.