13" Silver Macbook and Logitech z506 surround sound speakers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
08 13"Silver Macbook, 2.4GHz, 4GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, Lion
Hi! I have a 13" Silver Macbook, and Logitech Z506 surround sound speakers. I want to set it up so that it plays surround sound instead of stereo. Do I need a sound card? What kind is highly recommend? Whats out there for a good price? If i don't get a sound card, what do I do? Thanks

Sorry if i didn't post this in the right place, I'm a newbie.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since it's an Apple Notebook I moved it to Apple Notebooks.

I know you can get 5.1 if you use the optical output that is part of the headphone output. You need a TOSLINK cable. I will let someone else who has done this comment more.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so I found out that my speakers use an analog system where there are two cables, one is just for the stereo, and the other is for the other speakers, because it is like two stereo cables connected together, in this case, i think i do need a sound card. So, what do you guys and girls recommend?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.