Battery Indicator Messed Up

Reaction score
The battery indicator on my 3-4 year old MacBook has suddenly quit working. It appears as it does when it's being charged even when it's not connected to anything...an empty bar with a lightning bolt. It no longer indicates battery life. Any idea what happened?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Just out of curiosity, what OS are you running?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
When you bring up the battery menu does it show that the notebook is running off of the battery or the wall charger?

OP
S
Reaction score
Good question. I haven't tried that. (Frankly, didn't even know there was a "battery menu.") Unfortunately, I don't have the laptop with me. I'll check it at home tonight and report back. I appreciate your interest!

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm embarrassed to say that by simply clicking on the battery icon (which I did not even know was 'clickable') the icon returned to one indicating remaining battery life. As a bonus, I discovered I can opt for it to show remaining minutes or percentage as well. It's amazing how much I don't know about my computer. Thanks, Stormin, for driving me to the solution!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.