High temprature and breaks

Reaction score
Hey guys, IM a newbie on this machines so im pretty without certain of what is normal or not in OS X! I bought the MBP 15" 2.2Ghz about a month ago, and im feeling that he gets heat a lot (sometimes u feel that if it was more heat u couldnt pick it up with the palm of your hand for a long time) i only have like 79Gb og the initial 500 ocupied and for two times, not more, when the pc mbp was sleeping, i pressed 'space' to activate it and it crashed! I was wondering if sometimes with this new intel processors it would b normal???
I would b most greatfull for 'some lights' here and sorry about my lousy english btw!

Cheers

C

chas_m

1. Your machine is not overheating. If it were actually overheating, it would shut itself off.

2. Your machine disperses heat through the chassis and via fans. So it is PERFECTLY normal for the chassis to get warm. This is why Apple does not sell "laptops," they sell "notebooks." Don't keep any notebook (Mac or PC) on your lap or a soft surface (like a pillow, which will block the vents) for prolonged periods.

3. If you like, you can buy a riser to keep the underside of the notebook raised up, which helps with air circulation -- but generally, the MBP knows how to cool itself and unless you are doing something dumb (see #2) it's fine.

OP
T
Reaction score
Dont need to b that sarcastic but thanks anyway, that advices are to be aplied in every kind of laptops/Notebooks, but yes, ive heard that MBP or the most macs are very good in that aspect. About the breaks you think its normal???

C

chas_m

I'm sorry if it came over sarcastic, it wasn't intended. I can definitely be sarcastic but generally when I am doing so it's VERY VERY CLEAR.

You'd be surprised how many people think it's okay to keep a notebook on a pillow!

As for "breaks" I'm not sure what you mean, is this your term for a crash? IME I find that there are some programs (not many) that don't respond well to being left open when the machine is put to sleep. What exactly happens during these "breaks" you speak of?

OP
T
Reaction score
oh okok, sorry then all the agressivity! Indeed the word is crash! IME??? The crash in question was like i pressed the 'space' tab to take out of sleep mode. The screen kept all balck with the small clorfull circle spining and spining and spining for like 2 minutes and then i forced the shutt down because it wont stoped. I think it was cause of VLC player and i did already eliminated cause VLC keeps crashing (the program) any time i push forward or rewind a clip and it was opned in that happning! I have the MBP for like a month and in the first week something strange happned and that was a break. I dont very well how to explain it to you but it was like, i entered my password cause he was asleep, and i had a webpage opned but the image froze and all the clicks i made, afeter 30 secs in slowmotion he assumed them, then frozes again for some secs, and strat assuming the other 'cliks' ive made in the touchpad, and all this for like 1 min or a bit more. My thing is, i wanna have shure that my machine comes 'perfect' with any fabric defects(Is this the right word?) or else in this matters we gonna get a lot of probs in the future bcause i didnt detect that flaws in the first days and ill have to send a lot of times to warranty (just being a ltl dramatic fo you get what im trying to transmite) U know what i mean???

Chas, i big thank you btw for all the info, Cheers from Portugal!

C

chas_m

No worries.

There are some good practices that I find help reduce any chance of problems. One of them is that I make sure programs are actually quit (not just closed) when I'm not using them (it only take a few seconds for them to come back).

I personally prefer to have all programs quit before I put the computer to sleep. I have noticed that on occasion it can take the wireless network a long time (like a minute) to reconnect and so if I have any programs that require internet still open, they won't work properly until the wireless network is back on. Maybe that is part of the issue you are having.

In case it is something more than that, though, it might be a good idea to make a note when you see something odd or unexpected happening. In case you ever have to take it in for servicing, having a record of what's been going on may help the technician diagnose the real problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.