MAC Partitions

Reaction score
I created a MAC partition a while ago to merge with another but it was not required. I am not trying to just wipe my computer and begin with 1 partition again. With the installation disk, I am not able to access disk utilities and it is not possible to reinstall the OSX. I have also used Linux and Windows disks to try to wipe the partitions but it was not successful.

Current OSX: MAC Snow Leopard v10.6.8

edit: I have also tried using terminal commands and they did not work as well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not really sure exactly what it is you're trying to do. But anytime you manipulate partitions there is a good possibility of loss of data. If you created a partition and now are trying to remove it, chances are you're looking at a complete reinstall. Also, it sounds like the disk you're trying to use to run Disk Utility is not the correct disk for your machine.

OP
L
Reaction score
I am just trying to re-merge my partitions into one. I have tried with Disk Utility straight up, and the disk I am using is the only one provided. It is labeled "MAC ISX Install DVD" So i assume it is the correct one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. In order to reset the hard drive as one partition, you need to boot with the install DVD and run Disk Utility directly from the DVD. But you're telling us that even with the install DVD you can not run Disk Utility? If you can boot with that DVD and it's the correct DVD, there should be no reason why you can not use Disk Utility unless there's a problem with the hard drive.

What kind of an error are you getting? If Disk Utility won't access the hard drive it will be grayed out.

OP
L
Reaction score
There are no disk utility options. I have researched this repeatedly and that is the main option I am facing is this one. Unfortunately it goes straight to the installation period and does not allow me to access Disk Utility options such as in linux gpartitioner.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. Let's try this to see if we can figure out what's going on with the hard drive.

Try booting in Single User Mode and run fsck (system check) from the command line to see if there are any errors on the hard drive. Follow the instructions below which are from the Apple KB:

To start in single user mode, hold down the command s keys as soon as you hear the chime.

At the command-line prompt type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

Press Return. fsck will go through five "phases" and then return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:

** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK
If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed in step 2 until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).

When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.

Let us know how it went.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.