Time Machine only Calculates and Prepares. Nothing gets saved.

Reaction score
See title of description of what the base problem is. Even if I Back Up Now, it will only calculate all the changes, prepare, and then it stops. The Latest Backup date never changes. What would be causing this??

The only way i've been able to get the computer to save an update is by running the computer in Safe Mode. The external drive is an Hitachi Easy Dr 1TB via USB. I ran the disk utility on it and it did find some errors but said it fixed them. That didn't fix the problem tho. Any help is much appreciated!!

C

chas_m

1. Does the Hitachi have its own power supply, or are you trying to use it off the USB power?

2. Have you tried reformatting the Hitachi and letting TM do a new (or first, perhaps) complete backup?

Reaction score
2. Have you tried reformatting the Hitachi and letting TM do a new (or first, perhaps) complete backup?

this will take care of your problem, I had the same issue so I decided to reformat my Time Machine drive and make a new back up and it work with no issues after.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.