Wireless printing to non-wireless printer

Reaction score
Hi there: I’m brand-new here, though a long-time Mac user (who doesn’t always know that much about getting into the innards of things). We recently switched to FiOS, which means Verizon installed their own wireless router and created a new network. I want to keep printing to my trusty old pre-wireless Apple Personal LaserWriter 12/640 PS, but it's not really feasible to run a cable to the new router, which is now on a different floor.

• I've tried without success to configure and use an Airport Express (not Extreme) in "bridge" or "client" mode to extend the Verizon network, but the system message keeps saying that network cannot be extended.
  • I thought I would then use a new router (SMC WBR14S-N2) to set up a separate wireless network just for the Airport Express-to-printer bit, no Internet connection at all...but the fellow at the local Apple store said that the Express cannot connect with a printer at all via Ethernet, only USB.
  • I haven’t succeeded yet in setting up the SMC (still as a separate network) with a cable to the printer and leaving the Express out entirely, but a quick stab at that last night seemed to suggest the thing won’t do that without an Internet connection. But I’m not at all certain of that part. (Of course, I just now realized that the printer’s IP address is 192.168.1.50, but the SMC is defaulting to 192.168.2.xxx so I think that means I’ll have to change the printer’s address to match…right?)
So here are my questions:
  1. Would a USB-to-Ethernet adapter do the trick in connecting the Express to the LW? If so, do they come in different configurations that I should watch for?
  2. Or should I pursue using the SMC as outlined and have two concurrent networks? If so, would there be a way to connect to both networks simultaneously in order to avoid having to switch back and forth to print?
  3. Or is there some other way to get this notion to work short of spending money I do not have on still more hardware?
  4. Or am I reduced to drilling a hole in the floor?
Thanks in advance! Bill

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm going to offer this. For years I've been trying to figure out a way to wirelessly print to an older non-wireless printer...via different "dongles & adapters". And in EVERY case...I ended up wasting a couple hours of my time...and getting a BIG FAT headache!!!:(

The best (and only) method that I got to work was getting one of the Apple Extreme Base Stations [AEBS] (which are much more expensive than your average wireless router). The reason why this works is...first...because it's an Apple product specifically designed to work with Apple hardware & the Mac OS (where the other "gizmos")...say they are Mac compatible...but really aren't...or they are very difficult to setup. 2nd...with the AEBS you connect your older printer directly to the AEBS via USB...which works great...except if your wireless router is located somewhere inconvenient (such as a basement)...where you don't want your printer to be.

I'm sure some folks have gotten non-Apple solutions to work...I just could not get them to work...and I consider myself a bit more knowledgeable & persistent than the average computer user.

Finally...the BEST solution I settled on is...forgetting about trying to "adapt" my older non-wireless printer to work within a wireless environment. Why? The Apple Extreme Base Stations cost $179 (much more than the average "decent" wireless router)...which cost around $75. I ended up just purchasing a brand new Macintosh compatible wireless printer...which can be purchased on sale for about $50-$100 bucks.

Maybe others have better or less expensive options to get an older non-wireless printer to print "wirelessly"...I'm just sharing the experience I've had over at least the last 4-5 years...trying to get my non-wireless printer to print wirelessly...and wouldn't want you to "suffer" like I've had to.

If you want a wireless printer...just buy one that's designed to be wireless!:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you, Nick, but I do not have any money at all to purchase a new printer. That's why I'm trying to jump through these hoops. Sad but true...

Bill

OP
B
Reaction score
Wireless printing to old Apple printer

Hi there: I’m brand-new here, though a long-time Mac user (who doesn’t always know that much about getting into the innards of things); FYI I have also posted this inquiry in the "Internet, Networking, and Wireless" forum.

We recently switched to FiOS, which means Verizon installed their own wireless router and created a new network. I want to keep printing to my trusty old pre-wireless Apple Personal LaserWriter 12/640 PS, but it's not really feasible to run a cable to the new router, which is now on a different floor. For various reasons they both have to remain where they are.

I've tried without success to configure and use an Airport Express (not Extreme) in "bridge" or "client" mode to extend the Verizon network, but the system message keeps saying that network cannot be extended.

I thought I would then use a new router (SMC WBR14S-N2) to set up a separate wireless network just for the Airport Express-to-printer bit, no Internet connection at all...but the fellow at the local Apple store said that the Express cannot connect with a printer at all via Ethernet, only USB. (I am not 100% certain that he knows what he's talking about, though...)

I haven’t succeeded yet in setting up the SMC (still as a separate network) with a cable to the printer and leaving the Express out entirely, but a quick stab at that last night seemed to suggest the thing won’t do that without an Internet connection. But I’m not at all certain of that part. (Of course, I just now realized that the printer’s IP address is 192.168.1.xxx, but the SMC is defaulting to 192.168.2.xxx so I think that means I’ll have to change the printer’s address to match…right?)

So here are my questions:

1. Would a USB-to-Ethernet adapter do the trick in connecting the Express to the LW? If so, do those adapters come in different configurations that I should watch for?
  2. Or should I pursue using the SMC as outlined and have two concurrent networks (or use the Express the same way)? If so, would there be a way to connect to both networks simultaneously in order to avoid having to switch back and forth to print?
  3. Or is there some other way to get this notion to work short of spending money I absolutely do not have on still more hardware?
  4. Or am I reduced to drilling a hole in the floor (making domestic bliss a good deal less blissful)?

Thanks in advance! Bill

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We recently switched to FiOS, which means Verizon installed their own wireless router and created a new network. I want to keep printing to my trusty old pre-wireless Apple Personal LaserWriter 12/640 PS, but it's not really feasible to run a cable to the new router, which is now on a different floor. For various reasons they both have to remain where they are.

I can totally understand wanting to continue using your trusty Apple Laserwriter:)...but honestly (if you want to print wirelessly)...you need a new printer!;)

For as little as $50-$100 bucks...you can buy a brand new (Mac compatible) wireless laser printer. Many of the "possible solutions" to get your Apple Laserwriter to print wirelessly will probably:

- cost you more than $50-$100
- probably won't work (I've tried many)
- and one BIG hurdle will be modern software drivers for the printer (for wireless printing).

Not only will a new $50-$100 laser printer print wirelessly...it will also probably do photocopies, scan, and maybe fax as well.:)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Buying a new printer is not an option, unfortunately. I'm glad to hear about any other ways to print using my current equipment, wirelessly if at all possible.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Threads merged...no need to crosspost.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying a new printer is not an option, unfortunately. I'm glad to hear about any other ways to print using my current equipment, wirelessly if at all possible.

What you're not understanding is...there isn't any "free" way to do this. Almost any method that "might" work is probably going to cost you at least $50 dollars (maybe more).

And I've already mentioned above...for $49.99 (on sale) you can purchase a brand new Macintosh compatible wireless printer. If you cannot afford $50 right now...start saving!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As Nick pointed out those are your best options or move some equipment for direct hookup.

Reaction score
You can run an ethernet cable throw the AC duct work. I still use an laserwriter Pro 630 on a wired network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You can run an ethernet cable throw the AC duct work. I still use an laserwriter Pro 630 on a wired network.

Be sure its plenum rated for insurance reasons.

Reaction score
Hi Bill,

Just last night I bought a new Airport Express and was able to set it up to print to a USB printer with Verizon Fiios. I'm at work and have the notes written down at home regarding what I exactly did but I'll give it a shot here:

The only real challenge was changing the Fiios router to "WPA" security versus the default WEP. According to some reaidng I did, the Airport doesn't want to play nicely with the WEP encryper router....maybe more can elaborate on this?

Anyway, I did that on the Fiios router (by logging into the router at 192.168.1.1) and going to the Advanced Wireless Security Settings (or something similar). I could then select WPA encryption and a new key.

I was then able to get the Airport to connect to my existing wireless network and not only share the printer but also play music through my stereo wirelessley. It was a pretty quick process once I figured out the security thing!

Give this a shot and let me know if you require more details when I get home.

Cheers!

OP
B
Reaction score
My Apple LaserWriter 12/640 PS has no USB, only Ethernet. USB would make the whole thing much easier, I agree, and I have asked whether an Ethernet-to-USB adapter would work but have not heard anything back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.