eMac CD-RW not reading DVD's

64Vespa

Alright, this might seem like a lame question, but how come my eMac won't read DVDs? My old TiBook could read them fine, no problem... and it only had a CD drive. This there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Yes, you only have a CD-RW drive, some of the emacs shipped with this.
You have to have a combo drive for it to work.
Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
I could be wrong but, I think the eMacs came with either a Combo or Superdrive option.

Yours sounds like a combo drive.
Have you opened the DVD Player in Applications on your Hard Drive and chosen the region setting?
Or tried to play the DVD from there?
Also if you have a disc icon on your desktop once the DVD is inserted you could double click the icon then highlight the "Video TS" folder then press the "Apple" & "I" keys to get the info box up and then choose DVD player to open the "Video TS" folder that is on the disc.

Hope this helps
Paul

OP
B

Badger

Over its production the eMac has been available with CD-ROM, Combo and Superdrives. Go to the computer info item in the Apple menu and use that to find out what model eMac and drive you have.

OP

64Vespa

Here's what is listed in my System Profiler

HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8240B:

Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Model: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8240B
Revision: 1.05
Serial Number:
Drive Type: CD-RW
Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM

I believe this means you have a combo drive.
See my previous post for some suggestions on what to do.

Hope this helps
Paul

OP

64Vespa

pphking said:

Hope this helps
Paul

I did check my applications and no DVD program coud be found. I've heard from more than one person that the drive I indeed have is not a Combo, but a standard CD-RW drive.

OP
B

Badger

The first eMacs - 700 mhz - had the choice of CD-ROM, CD-RW or Combo drive (CD-RW/DVD ROM). This was the only eMac that offered a CD-RW. Later models dropped the CD-RW and added the SuperDrive (CD-RW/DVD-RW). It looks like you've got a 700 mhz model with a CD-RW. Without a SuperDrive or Combo you won't be able to use DVDs. According to Low End Mac, all TiBooks models, even the earliest, had at least DVD-ROM drives with later models having SuperDrives.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As Lil and others have stated, that is a Plain CD/RW drive. It will read CD's, and Write CD-r's and CD-R/W's. It will not play DVD's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
pphking said:

Hope this helps
Paul

CD-RW means it reads and burns only CDs. A combo drive would be CD-RW/DVD-ROM.
As others already stated, not all eMacs came with a Combo or Superdrive. The educational models even were CD-ROM only (can't burn anything).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
They're right, but I think it's weird that there are no DVD apps on your HD. I've got them on 9.2 on my iMac 333, even though it's just CD

Edit: Or you have the origional pre-installed system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think OS X only installs DVD Player if you have a DVD-drive built-in.

If you need to use DVD's with your emac you could easily just get an external firewire DVD drive.
You could even consider picking up a drive that can also burn DVD's. (i.e. one that is a DVD-ROM & a DVD+R or DVD-R).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.