Word says "no disk space" when there's plenty

Reaction score
I'm using MS Word for Mac and it cannot do AutoRecover, saying there's no disk space when my hard drive has 140 GB free. I cant save the file when it gets in this mode. Seems to be triggered by my doing cut/paste -- once when I closed word it said I had a lot of material on Clipboard / did I want to keep it. but even if I cut/paste with a small amount on clipboard this happens. Have to quit Word and restart to clear this. Any help appreciated. Using a Macbook Pro with Lion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to the proper forum. Does not belong in "Running Windows......."

Which version of Word for the Mac are you running? And have you gone into Word preferences and designated a folder location for Auto Recovery files?

I use the "Documents" folder for Auto Recovery and backup which makes those files easy to find if needed.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks -- yes I have AutoRecover go to Documents as well. My version of Word 2011 is 14.1.4 which I believe is the latest.

I talked to AppleCare and they couldnt help me directly with Word but we looked at my system memory which was up way high at 3.99 GB. Rebooted and it went down. Opened Word and it was still down. Later it was back near 3.99. Seems i have a strange memory thing going on.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's a difference between disk space and memory. You say you have 140 GB remaining which should be more than enough. However, if you're running low on system memory it may be caused by some other application or process running in the background. Open your Activity Monitor application to see what's going on.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes I understand the difference between disk space and memory. After talking to Applecare the issue clearly is memory. This seems not to be about Word. Something is taking my memory usage up to 3.99 or so GB, the limit almost. I have rebooted and its at about 1.6 which AppleCare said is fine. I load Word, no change. Load Powerpoint, no signif change. Once it seems that Chrome was the culprit but couldnt repeat this. Am also using CardScan. Something is grabbing memory. Have been using Activity Monitor but havent been able to isolate a cause yet. Any further thoughts welcome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.