Late 2011 MBP needs "early 2011" updates?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 500GB OS10.7.2 i5, 4G 32GB iPod Touch
Okay, I'm a little bit puzzled here, lol.

I have a Late 2011 Macbook Pro, 10.7.2. The software update app tells me that I have 5 updates. But shouldn't they have been shipped with my computer? Am I downgrading software by clicking install?

It wants me to install...
Macbook Pro EFI Firmware update v.2.3
Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update v.3.9
iTunes v.10.5.2
Safari v.5.1.2
Remote Desktop Client update v.3.5.1

This update fixes several issues to improve the stability of MacBook Pro (early 2011) computers and is recommended for all users.

This update includes improvements delivered in MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.2 that enables Lion Recovery from an Internet connection, resolves issues with Apple Thunderbolt Display compatibility and Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode performance on MacBook Pro (early 2011) models.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The firmware update is questionable. (The others are OK.) Your late model MBP should already have that firmware update installed.

You might want to give Apple support a call and ask before installing that firmware update. It may actually be one that you need but it's better when it comes to firmware updates to make sure first. Firmware updates perform "brain surgery" on your machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.