Question: Can you backup specific stuff on a HD and still use it as a time machine?

Reaction score
That is, I'd like to use my 2 TB HD as a time machine for my MacBook Pro, but I also have about 1tb of it spoken for with content from another hard drive. is it possible to assign this drive as a time machine and have it keep all the content that is already on it, or will setting it up as a time machine render it effective only for that purpose and clear my existing data?

Thanks a lot for any clarification on this, I've just about transferred the 1TB. I thought this was an appropriate topic to post this Q in but I'm not here all that frequently, so my apologies if this should be in another part of the forum. thanks and happy holidays,

andrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which one?
Yes you can. Setup Time Machine first, and do not mess with any of the folders it creates.

On my external HD, I created a folder called Backup, and I put things there all the time.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
You should partition the drive first - to keep Time Machine from overwriting anything.

OP
A
Reaction score
Sorry about the wrong forum. I already backed up my external hd and basically my whole computer on the new 2tb drive. Do I have to set up time machine first? Because if so that implies the data that's on there would not survive the time machine setup process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.