Processor Speed vs. Longevity

Reaction score
I'm finally getting a new laptop. I'm currently on a Powerbook G4 and I'm ready to throw it out of a window.

I'm looking into getting a refurbished Macbook Pro and I'll be using it mainly for Graphic Design purposes.

I'm on a SUPER tight budget and what is going to determine whether or not I'll be eating Ramen for the next month is what processor I NEED (not want).

The refurb I'm looking at is currently 2.8Ghz DuoCore i7. It's around $250 more to get it with a 2.3Ghz Quad Core. I REALLY should not spend the extra money...but if it will give me several years more life I'll do it.

If it's only a year or two difference then I won't.

Can anyone advise what kind of difference I can expect?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Personally - I'd stock up on Ramen noodles and get the quad core. The Duo core is probably just fine - but if it's choosing between a month's worth of Ramen (which really aren't that bad) or having to get the Duo Core - I'd take the noodles. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Theoretically, the quad core would get you longer life but the dual core is a solid processor. In fact, Apple still ships dual core processors in their 13" MBPs, MBAs and the Mac Mini. I would guess then that Apple plans to support dual core processors in some fashion for a few years (my four year old MB is still fully supported by Apple in terms of software compatibility). The choice is yours.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm finally getting a new laptop. I'm currently on a Powerbook G4 and I'm ready to throw it out of a window.

I'm on a SUPER tight budget and what is going to determine whether or not I'll be eating Ramen for the next month is what processor I NEED (not want).

The refurb I'm looking at is currently 2.8Ghz DuoCore i7. It's around $250 more to get it with a 2.3Ghz Quad Core.

Five things to consider:

1. Either of the two MacBook Pro's you listed will be WAYYYY faster than your old Powerbook G4.

2. There's really no way to reliably predict how long a computer's usability or longevity will be based on the cpu speed.

3. Many software programs are not written to take full advantage of multiple cpu cores. So between the two choices you listed...the more expensive 2.8ghz dual-core system would be faster than the 2.3ghz quad-core. Now if you know that the software you will be using is written to take advantage of multiple cores...then get the quad-core computer.

4. With all of this said...and if money is as tight as you say...then I would say get the lower cost 2.3ghz quad core MacBook Pro...since it will still be TONS faster than your old Powerbook G4!:)

5. Finally...you could always consider a used MacBook Pro. This will save you LOTS of money vs. a new/refurbished computer. Since again...ANY MacBook Pro will be faster than your old Powerbook G4.

Just providing you with all possibilities for your consideration.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks so much, guys. This will certainly assist in helping me reach a decision! ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.