I Lost My OSX Installer Disks :-(

Reaction score
Dear Friends,

I lost my Mac OSX Installer DVD disks. I have 13" Mac Book computer with intel chip inside. I already searched the forum but I couldn't find a similar thread. My OS is 10.5.1 Tiger dated 2008. So, here are my questions:

1 - How can I exactly figure out my OS (10.5 or 10.5.1 etc . . .)?
2 - Can I reformat my Mac Book without installer DVD disks?
3 - With the PCs (Particularly with window$ OS) you can create restore disk and then you can use that disk to reformat your PC. Can I create those installer DVD disks by using disk utility or any other application(s)?

I will be grateful if you could help me, please. I eventually will buy those installer disks, but I need to reformat my Mac Book these days.

Another thing I would like to ask is why we can not buy such OS disks from Apple Stores, instead order online? I find it a bit inconvenient.

Again, thanks for your valuable helps in advance, and wish all of you happy new year.

Capt. Serdal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Apple Logo > About this mac > Tells you your OS version

Both 10.5 and 10.4 are outdated operating systems. You'd be way better off picking up a $29 OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD and doing a clean install from that.

OP
S
Reaction score
Dear MacDude121,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. All right, I will check the exact OS type of my Mac Book, then order Snow Leopard very soon. So, I can upgrade to Snow Leopard from Tiger, can I?

Very Best Regards . . .

Capt. Serdal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dear MacDude121,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. All right, I will check the exact OS type of my Mac Book, then order Snow Leopard very soon. So, I can upgrade to Snow Leopard from Tiger, can I?

Very Best Regards . . .

Capt. Serdal

Shouldn't be a problem at all. :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Perfect! Thanks a lot MacDude121. Does it matter to get the upgrade version or regular version?

Very Best Regards . . .

Capt. Serdal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perfect! Thanks a lot MacDude121. Does it matter to get the upgrade version or regular version?

Very Best Regards . . .

Capt. Serdal

The only "kink" with making the jump from 10.4 to 10.6 is that you need to perform a clean install as if 10.4 doesn't previously exist on the machine.(or so I've been told) This means you'll want to back-up all of your important files before installing the new OS to avoid any loss of your important data.

This is exactly what you want as far as the disk goes: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.