limit my bandwidth

Reaction score
hi, at home theres 3 of us(mac + 2 pc's) and were sharing a 2 mb internet conection through a d-link router, the problem is that when ever anyone downloads anything the internet becomes so increadably slow for the other 2 peaple. i was just curious wether anyone knew of a solution. is there any bandwidth restrictors out there for os x( met a guy in the pub whos gona give us a pc version!) any help much apreichiated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
i thought that it all had to be done at the router end which means a premium router (ie £500+)

L

lil

It would as a best scenario solution be a router end solution as that's the thing that ultimately decides the destination of the packets coming in over the network. Any software based solution is likely to use a messy 'polled' method of restriction whereby it continually checks the speed and through whichever magic lowers the bandwidth constantly, and as such it will probably be a bit of a hog.

Of course it depends what you are downloading from, some applications have maximum bandwidth limits put in, Safari however and web browsers don't seem to...

Google I guess!

Vicky :flower:

OP
S
Reaction score
cheers guys, google wasnt much help. i kind of think that perhaps we need to get into the routers preferences and do it that way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
It shouldn't slow down to that extent really. Are some users uploading at all? (Like sending a file via MSN or whatever) because uploading crucifies the speed, but downloading a file should not effect it so bad.

I have 5 PCs and 3 Macs connected to a 2Mb connection. Out of that, 3 PCs and two Macs are on more or less all the time - I can see a slight difference when one person is downloading, but I can see an incredibe difference when one of them is uploading, so much so, that I notice it immediately - its like being back on narrowband. :)

OP
S
Reaction score
yea one of the guys is really in to bit torrents so i guess when hes downloading hes also uploading at the same time, its like a having a dial up back again!can you share the upload bandwidth evenly then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
If he uses bittorrent, you should be able to limit the bandwidth in the bittorrent software settings, for example:

http://www.bittorrent.com/FAQ.html#uploadlimit

You can do this with any P2P application :) Go through the settings and knock the upload limit right down - this then ensures that those who upload programs via his computer can only upload them at a certain bandwidth limit (like 25kbps for example)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.