Can I play all games?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hi.
Soon I will be getting a iMac, and I was wondering if I can play just about all the PC games using boot camp. Will I be able to just play every game for the PC on my iMac? Or are there certain games that I can play for the iMac running windows? I am new to iMac, and haven't owned one yet, and don't know too much about the boot camp for the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
If you install Windows (yes, you'll need an install disc) on your iMac using Bootcamp, you will have a separate partition of your internal drive that is for all intents and purposes a Windows machine. You boot into that partition and you are running Windows just like on a Dell or HP or whatever.

So yes, whatever Windows games you want to play are the same as on any other Windows machine when you play them on your Windows partition through Bootcamp.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
If you install Windows (yes, you'll need an install disc) on your iMac using Bootcamp, you will have a separate partition of your internal drive that is for all intents and purposes a Windows machine. You boot into that partition and you are running Windows just like on a Dell or HP or whatever.

So yes, whatever Windows games you want to play are the same as on any other Windows machine when you play them on your Windows partition through Bootcamp.

Thanks. So it is just like a mac is a PC but a PC is not a Mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi.
Soon I will be getting a iMac, and I was wondering if I can play just about all the PC games using boot camp. Will I be able to just play every game for the PC on my iMac? Or are there certain games that I can play for the iMac running windows? I am new to iMac, and haven't owned one yet, and don't know too much about the boot camp for the iMac.

There may be a bit of detail here that may need clarification. There may be a difference between being "able" to play/run a Windows game on a Macintosh computer...and being able to play it well. Meaning good frames/second...and being able to play complex games at high levels of detail.

So another way of saying it is...you may be able to play most or all Windows games on a Mac...but some of them may play at low frame rates & only at lower detail levels/settings.

So just a word of warning up front before you buy. Many of the more experienced "gamers" on Mac-Forums (Windows games)...simply recommend (if you're a "serious gamer")...is buy a "Windows Box" for gaming.

HTH,

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Thanks. So it is just like a mac is a PC but a PC is not a Mac.
If you want to be pedantic and literal, then yes, a Mac is a PC (and always has been) but only Apple machines are Macs (just like only Dell machines are Inspirons for instance).

There may be a bit of detail here that may need clarification. There may be a difference between being "able" to play/run a Windows game on a Macintosh computer...and being able to play it well. Meaning good frames/second...and being able to play complex games at high levels of detail.
This is important to note (thanks Nick) - once Windows is installed, the iMac will have the same capabilities of any other similarly spec'd machine.

Reaction score
Do you have any particular games in mind?

Your biggest stumbling block is the graphics card in the Mac, it's good but it isn't an out and out gamers card, the same as many PCs really. With a PC you can swap the card for a better one, not something you can do on the Mac.

I have Windows 7 on my i5 iMac solely for gaming. I play Call of Duty Black Ops and MW3 and it can handle these with ease. I can't comment on other games though hence my question.

Tell us what you want to play and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.