Which Internal Drive is Best?

Reaction score
Have a Mid-2007 Macbook and the hard drive just died. Looks pretty easy to perform a DIY replacement, but what's not so easy is figuring out which to buy. Been reading a ton, and all I've decided is that I'm going with a 5400 because I don't do much video editing or graphics work.

I've read that the WD Blue Scorpio has parking issues so I'm leaning against that model, and leaning toward this one:

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint M7E HM501II 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Any input or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would stay away from anything Samsung or Toshiba when it comes to hard drives. Hitachi, WD, Seagate, are usually a better choice. As for spin rotation, nothing wrong with buying a 7200 RPM drive which will give some better access times and speed.

You should be able to buy one locally or on line. Maybe better to buy on line and save all the NY sales tax. Try Other World Computing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
I would say that Western Digital is a fantastic call. I run their drives in my Windows box, and have a pair of their external drives. Can't say that I have ever had a bad experience with their drives.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Appreciated.

Amazon gave me some nutty offers and for $59 I'm getting the Scorpio Blue 320G on Thursday. Would have gone bigger, but really, I was at less than half of capacity on a 160 after more than four years, so doubling it seemed sensible (and cheaper). Also read a ton of stories about vibration issues with the 7200s. That kind of put me off.

Plus never know when I'm going to need a new laptop, anyway. Like my new one to have SSD and Apple is going to work with me when I need it. Had a bunch of 'crackbook' problems with my current machine. It's been in five times for that and a related problem. As in when they replaced the case and two days later I tried to insert a DVD and it wouldn't go in. They'd re-seated the optical drive incorrectly :Grimmace:. But that's a longer story I won't get into here. :Angry:;P

Thanks, again!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've been really happy with Hitachi drives recently. Not sure if they still make it, but the Hitachi Travelstar 7k500 is what I was using up until I switched to an SSD and it's a great drive - quiet, fast and power efficient.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.