Encrypted USB drive mounts automatically w/o asking for password

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an external USB drive with 2 partitions, one partition is formatted as "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled, Encrypted)". Every time I attach the drive, it asks for a password, otherwise it won't mount the encrypted partition, which is good.

The problem is that when I do fast user switch to (any) other user the system automatically mounts encrypted partition without asking any password!!! This means the system actually stores the password somewhere, which is wrong. Is there any way to prevent the encrypted partition from being mounted automatically?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
The password is what decrypts the drive. Once decrypted the system can read it. It can also be shared to network users.

To avoid privacy breaches, adjust the permissions so that you are the owner and all others have no access.

OP
A
Reaction score
The password is what decrypts the drive. Once decrypted the system can read it. It can also be shared to network users.

To avoid privacy breaches, adjust the permissions so that you are the owner and all others have no access.

Right, if the drive is already mounted, it can be used/shared by other users on the system.

The problem is that after fast user switch, previously unmounted encrypted drives somehow become mounted. I'll describe this problem step by step:
1. The USB drive with an encrypted partition is physically attached to a Macbook (10.7.2)
2. The system asks for a password for the encrypted partition - I don't enter it, so the partition is NOT mounted.
3. I switch to another user (and see a cube animation)
4. The encrypted partition is automatically mounted without asking for a password!

At first I suspected that 'another user' may have the partition password in its keychain, so I tried switching to different (including newly created) users, but the problem remained the same: switching to another user mounts encrypted partition without asking for a password. Isn't it a bit strange?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.