Help: MacBook Air 13.3" with i7 running Adobe CS5?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Current Win7 user looking to make the move to Apple and need some help from people who obviously know more about Apple Hardware/Software than I do.

Bottom Line: Can the newest version of the MacBook Air run Adobe CS5 Master Collection?

I've watched some online video and it looks to be significantly faster than the older version MacBook Pro's....

My plan was to buy the 13.3" version, but then tie-into larger Apple Monitor in-office for design work.

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated....

Matthew.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since you plan on using the Adobe CS5 Master Collection, I'm assuming you're doing so professionally? The reason I ask is because the MBA while a great platform for the traveler and casual user, in my opinion is not suitable for doing things like graphic design. Memory is limited and can not be expanded, hard drive size (SSD) is likewise limited because of cost. Add to that the HD 3000 Intel integrated GPU which borrows memory from the system, and no optical drive, you may be disappointed in its performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Yeah, I am going to agree with chscag...

There is a serious amount of system resources that CS5 takes up. I have it on my Windows box, and can't imagine attempting to run it on my MacBook Air. It would take up just far to much space on the SSD.

OP
C
Reaction score
Since you plan on using the Adobe CS5 Master Collection, I'm assuming you're doing so professionally? The reason I ask is because the MBA while a great platform for the traveler and casual user, in my opinion is not suitable for doing things like graphic design. Memory is limited and can not be expanded, hard drive size (SSD) is likewise limited because of cost. Add to that the HD 3000 Intel integrated GPU which borrows memory from the system, and no optical drive, you may be disappointed in its performance.

I am using professionally for graphic/web design....but I'm really only in CS5 maybe 5% of my day, if that.

With that in mind, I'm really hoping the power/speed combo would suffice as I love the ultralight package.

RE: Additional Memory - I did a quick inventory of what's on my PC, and I don't even have 100 GB's of programs/content now....and in that 100 GB, I have a bunch of stuff that should be deleted. With that in mind, with the 256 GB in flash memory, I figure I should be okay.

With that in mind, does that change your recommendation? If not, what hardware would you recommend?

Thanks again guys.....

Sincerely, M.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is no question as to its portability and excellent workmanship. I still think, however, for doing any kind of graphic design you may wish to get something more powerful. Of course that means more $$ and a larger machine to lug around. You sound like you're sold on an Air. :) Buy it and use it for a week. You have up to two weeks to return it to Apple for a full refund.

Reaction score
I have a friend who's a graphic design major and her professor suggests the pro over the macbook air.

I've run photoshop CS5 on my MBA (i5, 11") without a hitch but I can't really comment on more intense work loads because I haven't touched a tablet or seriously used the program in ages.
But from the three months I've had this computer I don't see any major deficit that would indicate why you shouldn't use a MBA. I've run like 4 desktops with 6 pdf's 3 words, imovie, audacity, photoshop and safari altogether during finals week for hours on end (computer abuse, I know) without it slowing down a hair so I think that's an indicator that this tiny machine is built to work.

OP
C
Reaction score
There is no question as to its portability and excellent workmanship. I still think, however, for doing any kind of graphic design you may wish to get something more powerful. Of course that means more $$ and a larger machine to lug around. You sound like you're sold on an Air. :) Buy it and use it for a week. You have up to two weeks to return it to Apple for a full refund.

Apple will let me do that?

That is absolutely wonderful!

Thanks so much to all for the feedback. Exceedingly helpful.

Cheers, Matthew.

Reaction score
Adobe CS5 for MBA

Apple will let me do that?

That is absolutely wonderful!

Thanks so much to all for the feedback. Exceedingly helpful.

Cheers, Matthew.

How is the Macbook Air working out for you with CS5 installed? I'm considering to do the same.

Cheers, Angela

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How is the Macbook Air working out for you with CS5 installed? I'm considering to do the same.

Cheers, Angela

Just an FYI. 2+ year-old thread...OP hasn't posted on Mac-Forums for over a year.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.