Restore iPhone from backup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3" Mid 2010 | 2.4GHz C2D | 4096MB 1067 MHz DDR3 | nVidia GeForce 320m
I had to restore my iPhone a little while ago due to a failed update and in doing so I lost everything. Luckily I backed up my iPhone before I updated my iPhone. I used to be able to restore from backup but now that I'm in iOS 5 I can't do that. If I go to preferences>Devices I can see the backup of my iPhone but their is no way to restore my iPhone to it.

The backup of my iPhone is there but Apple won't let me restore to it, how should I go about doing it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I had to restore my iPhone a little while ago due to a failed update and in doing so I lost everything. Luckily I backed up my iPhone before I updated my iPhone. I used to be able to restore from backup but now that I'm in iOS 5 I can't do that. If I go to preferences>Devices I can see the backup of my iPhone but their is no way to restore my iPhone to it.

The backup of my iPhone is there but Apple won't let me restore to it, how should I go about doing it?

You certainly should be able to restore from your backup, even if the version of iOS is newer than the one you backed up with. What makes you think that you can't do so now?

EDIT: if you are trying to do this over wi-fi… plug it in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Plug your device in via USB. It should show up in the middle of the sidebar on the left side of the iTunes screen. Ctrl-Click (right-click) the device. Select 'Restore from Backup'.

Although you can view your backups in Preferences, I don't think there is a way to restore from the Preferences box.

Reaction score

i have the same problem! iam trying to find a solution from 3 days and i cant, i cant restore from back up, even i cant see the Restore from backup word in the devices
any idea?

Reaction score

I lost my iphone4s and i really need to get the contacts there. i know itunes do automatic back up, but when i clicked restore from back up from the new iphone4 i got, the back up of my old phone wasnt there. but when i checked in the devices in the preference box, it is there. why is it not showing when i restore it? how can i restore the back up? help pls?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3" (early 2011) | 8gb ram | 1tb hd | Mac OSX 10.8 |
I lost my iphone4s and i really need to get the contacts there. i know itunes do automatic back up, but when i clicked restore from back up from the new iphone4 i got, the back up of my old phone wasnt there. but when i checked in the devices in the preference box, it is there. why is it not showing when i restore it? how can i restore the back up? help pls?

It might be because of different versions of iOS.

What version of iOS was running on the iPhone 4s?

What version of iOS is running on the iPhone 4?

Reaction score
This is not possible within iTunes, which deals with backup and restore as a single block. Keep in mind that syncing apps is different from a backup and restore - so you could remove some apps to free up space and try the restore.

The backup is stored under ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/, but the files not in an easy-to-use form.

If you wish to explore your backup and see what can be selectively extracted or used, there are some paid applications to do that (check the free trials to see if they're helpful): like: Vibosoft iPhone backup extractor app. iPhone Backup Extractor - Extract iPhone Backup File from iTunes Mac/Windows

Reaction score
It might be because of different versions of iOS.

What version of iOS was running on the iPhone 4s?

What version of iOS is running on the iPhone 4?

I am trying to restore a new 16 GB iPhone from my old 64 GB backup, and am getting the error message that the old backup is too large (for the record, I don't believe it's very much over 16 GB)...the old phone is broken, so I cannot try to make a new backup smaller (this was one solution I found here).

C

chas_m

I am trying to restore a new 16 GB iPhone from my old 64 GB backup, and am getting the error message that the old backup is too large (for the record, I don't believe it's very much over 16 GB)...the old phone is broken, so I cannot try to make a new backup smaller (this was one solution I found here).

Easy solution ... take the 16GB iPhone back, exchange it for a 32. Problem solved.

Reaction score

I have same problem. But I don't backup my iPone data. HELP!

Reaction score
Today you can restore your deleted files in many ways. What a pity.
And upstairs, you can google some third party recovery which can easily recover your data. Like Wondershare or FonePaw iPhone Data Recovery is OK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.