Safari quits for no reason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 20", 2 GB Ram, 233 GB HD, Running 10.4.11
There is no browser forum so I'm posting this here. I just had Verizon Fios installed and now having problems with Safari. I open the browser and have AOL as my home page. When I go to open my e mail or a news item Safari quits. I doesn't happen all the time and it just might be a coincidence that this is happening after the Fios installation but, nevertheless, it does happen on both of my computers. Using Firefox seems to work okay. We never had this problem with our previous DSL internet connections. Any ideas??

Dave

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The first thing I'd recommend is to reset Safari to factory defaults. This is done by clicking the Safari menu and choosing "Reset Safari". Choose all of the check boxes and click 'Reset'.

Once this is done, you may also want to update your Adobe Flash plug-in. You can get the latest version here:

Adobe - Install a different version of Adobe Flash Player

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The first thing I'd recommend is to reset Safari to factory defaults. This is done by clicking the Safari menu and choosing "Reset Safari". Choose all of the check boxes and click 'Reset'.

Once this is done, you may also want to update your Adobe Flash plug-in. You can get the latest version here:

Adobe - Install a different version of Adobe Flash Player

Thanks for the tip! I did what you said first thing this morning. I will let you know if I have the same problem as the day progresses.

Dave

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update 12/30/11

Well, after resetting Safari and downloading a new Adobe Flash Safari quit only once yesterday. Today however it quit 3 times within a half an hour! If it keeps up I'm going to use Firefox as my browser. Someone else in my office switched over and is not having any problems. Just a thought; maybe it has something to do with the fact that I use AOL for my default web page and e mail???

Dave

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What version of OS X are you using? Have you installed any plug-ins for Safari?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What version of OS X are you using? Have you installed any plug-ins for Safari?

I haven't installed any plug ins.

Dave

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. 10.4 is kind of old now and Apple has dropped support for it. So, you're probably not getting regular updates to Safari that can correct bugs that cause this kind of behavior on newer sites. Admittedly, it shouldn't be crashing - but it doesn't surprise me. Seeing as how you've got an Intel Mac, is there any reason you haven't upgraded to at least 10.6?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. 10.4 is kind of old now and Apple has dropped support for it. So, you're probably not getting regular updates to Safari that can correct bugs that cause this kind of behavior on newer sites. Admittedly, it shouldn't be crashing - but it doesn't surprise me. Seeing as how you've got an Intel Mac, is there any reason you haven't upgraded to at least 10.6?

The main reason is that I have a mailing list that I generated in 1986 on my Mac Plus that I've messaged since then. It made the upgrade from the Plus to the iMac, to the MacBook with only minor problems. I'm reluctant to make the upgrade to Leopard for fear that I will lose my list. The Apple Store could not give me a definitive answer as to whether it will work or not, so I've put off the upgrade until I absolutely have to.

Dave

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The main reason is that I have a mailing list that I generated in 1986 on my Mac Plus that I've messaged since then. It made the upgrade from the Plus to the iMac, to the MacBook with only minor problems. I'm reluctant to make the upgrade to Leopard for fear that I will lose my list. The Apple Store could not give me a definitive answer as to whether it will work or not, so I've put off the upgrade until I absolutely have to.

Dave

That shouldn't be a problem, particularly if you have a good backup on an external hard drive. I think you're at the point where you should be concerned about having that machine on the Internet, especially since it's not being patched for security-related bugs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.