Wi-Fi / 3G Service

Reaction score
Do you have to sign-up for 3G service at the time of purchasing a Wi-Fi / 3G iPad??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No. As the Apple on line store instructions clearly state, you can do that later on as the need arises. And since there are no contracts to be made, you can cancel anytime you no longer need 3G service. However, the minimum is one month service with both Verizon and AT&T. I'm not sure about Sprint but I suspect it's the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
When I started my Verizon 3G service they didn't mention the $35 sign up fee. So far I'm averaving about 200MB a month of 3G service from my 2GB package. I'm finding WI-Fi works most of the time. Does anyone one know if that sign up fee is a one time charge?

Thanks

Tom

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a good question. I do know that if you're already a Verizon or AT&T customer (with a current contract) they don't charge the $35 activation fee. At least they have not been doing so. I don't know if they have changed their policy though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
That is news. I didn't pay a fee for my AT&T service, and did not buy the device from AT&T. I just keyed in my CC info at the setup screen and was loving the "G's" in a matter of minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
That's a good question. I do know that if you're already a Verizon or AT&T customer (with a current contract) they don't charge the $35 activation fee. At least they have not been doing so. I don't know if they have changed their policy though.

I wonder why they charged me? I'm a long time Verizon customer that currently has two BB Storms on their unlimited data plan.

Guess like everything you better read the fine print.

Cheers

Tom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.