dial-up bbs software for the mac

Reaction score
I am interested in setting up the old style bulletin board system (bbs) access on my computer through dial-up—i.e., so that I can access bbs sites on the phone lines should there be an Egypt-style Internet outage or shutdown. I work from a 2009 MacBook Pro.

What do I need? I assume a modem. Is there software that must (or should) be installed too, or do I use the Terminal utility that's already there?

Terminal works for Telnet access on the Internet, but what I want is access via the phone lines if the Internet is down.

If necessary I can use an older computer. I have an old iMac from around 2001.

Not sure which sub-forum this belongs on, but this seemed like a good place to start

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Folks I know who run a BBS use either Windows or OS/2. I don't even know if there is BBS software available for the Mac.

And as you stated, folks access their favorite BBS on line through telnet and some even http.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina 5K 27-inch 2017 iMac
If you wish to run Hermes II, you need to run it from inside a Mac Classic emulator such as SheepShaver or Basilisk II, which is exactly what I have been doing for a little over a month now. That is when I resurrected my old BBS from the early 90s, the Armageddon BBS. You will find plenty of help on my Armageddon BBS website, including how to compile the latest version of Hermes II -- 3.5.11 from two years ago -- in SheepShaver, under Yosemite.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.