Sharing data between Mac and Macbook Air

Reaction score
I have a 27" Mac (running SL OS X 10.6.8) 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 that I bought new in 2010. I want to share music and pictures from the Mac to the new MBA (13" 126 GB, running Lion 10.7.2). I was going to use the iCloud and that means installing the Lion OS on my Mac. After reading some pretty bad things about Lion, I am not sure I want to do it that way now.

I love the way my Mac runs and don't want to (possibly) mess it up. What other way could I transfer pretty large files to the MBA? I have a WiFi through Airport Express. I tried using Migration Assistant but it won't let me do individual pictures or music, only my whole collection. Or maybe I just don't know the right way to use it?

Actually, what I would really like is for the MBA to be able to access all the stuff I have on my Mac somehow.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
What was the bad news about Lion? I would assume that you have it on your new MBA. Have you had any problems?

OP
C
Reaction score
What was the bad news about Lion? I would assume that you have it on your new MBA. Have you had any problems?

Yes it is on the MBA (only started using it since Christmas) and it seems fine on there. The issues that I have read about are when you upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion on a Mac. Some of the issues people had were it making their Mac run much slower, problems with their WiFi, issues with the mouse since it has certain motions for a track pad, etc.

I just thought since I have a wireless network that there would be a way that the MBA could just access certain files, like pictures and music, and grab them from the Mac.

OP
C
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I figured it out. Embarrassingly simple:

System Preferences
Internet & Wireless
Sharing
click File Sharing

Do the same thing on the iMac

Then go into Finder on the iMac and click on my name in Places
Drag and drop any file into my Public folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 10.7.2, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD; iPhone 4S 16GB
UPDATE:

I figured it out. Embarrassingly simple:

System Preferences
Internet & Wireless
Sharing
click File Sharing

Do the same thing on the iMac

Then go into Finder on the iMac and click on my name in Places
Drag and drop any file into my Public folder

That's what I was going to suggest, but I skip the public folder. I just assign access to relevant folders to accounts as necessary. Then, whether I'm on my Macbook or my iMac, I can get what I need from the other computer without getting up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.