Is it possible >>

Reaction score
To make a separate partition on your Main HD, to back up your computer, IE like Time-Machine but on another partition, so if the main OS fails you can revert to that backup, does that make sense? Thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Yes, but a little pointless, because if the OS fails the chances are that it will be the HD at fault, and you will lose the partition anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Possible? Yes.
A good idea? No.
What happens if your HDD fails? You are left with nothing to boot from because you can't access any partitions on that drive. The recommended methods are to have an external backup and even a backup of that drive on DVD or on another external drive. Someday when your drive fails (and it's only a matter of time), you'll be glad you have all of those backups.
A personal preference is to have a Time Machine backup to easily go back to previous versions of documents, media, etc. and a cloned drive (SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner) to boot off of if your Mac's drive gives you problems or dies entirely.

OP
S
Reaction score
Can this be done from a DVD?

Possible? Yes.
A good idea? No.
What happens if your HDD fails? You are left with nothing to boot from because you can't access any partitions on that drive. The recommended methods are to have an external backup and even a backup of that drive on DVD or on another external drive. Someday when your drive fails (and it's only a matter of time), you'll be glad you have all of those backups.
A personal preference is to have a Time Machine backup to easily go back to previous versions of documents, media, etc. and a cloned drive (SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner) to boot off of if your Mac's drive gives you problems or dies entirely.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
External HD's are dirt cheap these days..so grab one, plug it into the USB port and point Time Machine at it..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Late '11 Core i7, iMac Early 2006 Core 2 Duo, MacBook Early 2006 Core 2 Duo and more!
Possible? Yes.
A good idea? No.
*cough* Lion recovery partition *cough*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
External HD's are dirt cheap these days..so grab one, plug it into the USB port and point Time Machine at it..

Ahem, they were, not so much at the moment, thanks to the floods in Thailand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
*cough* Lion recovery partition *cough*

I take it you are unaware that, if the HDD fails, the recovery partition will be useless as well?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Today i had to repair my drive - how often will this happen?

Impossible to answer.

HDD are a trouble prone component with Macs and PCs, both. But it is like rolling dice. You may get one that runs years with no problems or get one that dies within hours of first powering it on.

That is why it is absolutely essential if you want to preserve your data (and memories-photos etc) that you develop a backup strategy and consistently follow it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah your really spot on, i should maintain this computer alot more, whats the possibility of using my Macbook as a backup to the iMAC?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Not as cheap as they were last year, but I use two of these for backups.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UHWHO4/?tag=macforums0e4-20

I keep one in a safe deposti box at our bank and switch them out every month. Total cost is $170 at todays prices, but I feel it is well worth it to protect my data.

Just my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Whats that?

Lion reinstaller that is a separate partition in of itself. You restart, hold Ctrl until you see the different drives show up and select it to reinstall Lion.
As mentioned, it's useless if your entire drive fails ...unless you put it on a thumb drive or CD.

Yeah your really spot on, i should maintain this computer alot more, whats the possibility of using my Macbook as a backup to the iMAC?

Again, possible but not a good idea. You're just borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

Please give this thread a read and get yourself an external HDD.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/245794-official-backup-faq-start-backing-up-now.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.