KVM switching with a PC using 20" cinema

X

xxamitxx

I am one of those new cross over breeds that has left the windows world and have entered the mac world. I just bought a 12" powerbook with the 20" apple cinema display. I still rarely but sometimes have to use my PC. I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with recommending a KVM switch that will allow me to use my PC with my apple display as well as use my powerbook. I am thinking about getting a bluetooth keyboard and mouse that can be shared by both computers. Please fill me in on any ideas you mac experts might have for me. Thank
-Amit

OP
S

silentraven

ah ha. My department. I worked for a company called Gefen, Inc. until recently. They have an ADC switcher. Two DVI inputs, and 1 ADC output. It also has Audio and USB. The website is www.gefen.com and it retails for $449. If you are not looking to do audio and USB, you may want to go with the CompuCable ADC Switcher. Its significantly cheaper because the USB and Audio technologies aren't being used. The cheapest I found it was at We Love Mac for $274.49 (http://www.welovemacs.com/2dviadcab.html). Remember, this is Digital switching, and it needs to be digitally processed through a board. Good luck

OP
B

babasyzygy

silentraven said:
ah ha. My department. I worked for a company called Gefen, Inc. until recently. They have an ADC switcher. Two DVI inputs, and 1 ADC output.

Ahah. an expert! I just got a Gefen 4x1 DVI/ADC switcher, and I'm having a heck of a time. I've got a Radeon 9800 hooked up the the switcher and the switcher to an Apple Cinema Dispaly 23"... but I never see any output on the display (I've tested the switcher with Macs, and it seems to be working fine).

Are there any gotchas I should be aware of?

Thanks,

OP
S

silentraven

well, for some reason the timing on the 9800 wasnt working right with a lot of KVMs. I dont know if it's been fixed yet, but I will ask this week. I am headed up to MacWorld with them. They asked me to do the convention with them. So I will definitely check on that and get back to you.

Just incase you happen to be going to MacWorld, we're at booth 1147.

OP
B

babasyzygy

silentraven said:
well, for some reason the timing on the 9800 wasnt working right with a lot of KVMs. I dont know if it's been fixed yet, but I will ask this week.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I can't make it myself :(

Does the same issue apply to OEM 9200s? The computer in question is a VAIO with what reported itself as a 9200, but I put the 9800 in before hooking up the KVM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.