Need Opinions for MacBook Pro/Thunderbolt Display dilemma

Reaction score
My husband got me a gorgeous 27" Thunderbolt Display for Christmas. After I opened the box to set it up ... I realized that my late 2008 MacBook Pro can't be used with this monitor because it doesn't have a thunderbolt port for the cable. Arrgghhhh!

From the Mac rumor-mill, it seems that Apple will be introducing a new and improved MacBook Pro lineup with a display resolution of 2880 by 1800 in the second quarter of 2012. At that point, I could probably afford a new computer, which will have a Thunderbolt port. But since I'd be using the Thunderbolt display with a new MacBook Pro anyway – maybe waiting 6-8 months for the release of the new lineup doesn't make sense.

So here's my dilemma. Can't decide if I should:

1) Return the monitor because I can't use it now and run the risk of not getting another one.
2) Buy a new MacBook Pro in the next month or so (which I really can't afford at this point, so it would be a stretch) but then be able to use the monitor.
3) Wait until the 'new' MacBook Pro models come out (late summer/early Fall?) and let the monitor sit in the box until then.

I'm a graphic designer, so being having the Thunderbolt display ASAP would be great ... but I've been working on a 15" laptop screen for years, so maybe it's not a big deal to wait longer to use the new monitor.

Any thoughts or suggestions for me? Thanks!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.