Data recovery on MAC HDD?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am not familiar with MAC's, I am a pc tech, friend of mine asked me to recover data from his hdd, my research on the net on this shows:

You see the only difference between a "Mac hard drive" and a "Windows PC hard drive" is the file system. A "Mac hard drive" is formatted using HFS or HFS+ while a "Windows PC hard drive" is either FAT or NTFS. The physical hard drive, the actual hardware, is the exact same and will work on a Mac and Windows PC both. A "Mac hard drive" will work just fine on a Windows PC (after a little work).

but's it's those words in bold that I am questioning, normally I would attach a HDD to my main pc as a slave and access the drive's info then copy it to my unit's drive, can I do the same with the MAC drive too please?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hey guys, I am not familiar with MAC's, I am a pc tech, friend of mine asked me to recover data from his hdd, my research on the net on this shows:

You see the only difference between a "Mac hard drive" and a "Windows PC hard drive" is the file system. A "Mac hard drive" is formatted using HFS or HFS+ while a "Windows PC hard drive" is either FAT or NTFS. The physical hard drive, the actual hardware, is the exact same and will work on a Mac and Windows PC both. A "Mac hard drive" will work just fine on a Windows PC (after a little work).

but's it's those words in bold that I am questioning, normally I would attach a HDD to my main pc as a slave and access the drive's info then copy it to my unit's drive, can I do the same with the MAC drive too please?

You can, but you need a driver to enable your PC to read/write the Mac HDD. If you do a Forum search you will probably find reference to one. I remember seeing a reccomendation recently but my brain hasn't absorbed my coffee yet and I no longer use any Windows machines at home so haven't needed the software.
If I remember or find it I will post back the name.

EDIT: Found it. This is the package that some of our members reccomend.

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

OP
M
Reaction score
Or is this the driver you mean?

NTFS (Windows NT File System)

Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx 33USD).
Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability.
AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
Maximum file size: 16 TB
Maximum volume size: 256TB

taken from this thread?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1088460

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or is this the driver you mean?

NTFS (Windows NT File System)

Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx 33USD).
Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability.
AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
Maximum file size: 16 TB
Maximum volume size: 256TB

taken from this thread?

Windows driver for reading Apple file system? - MacRumors Forums
I added a link to my original post for a software driver for your PC.
But here it is again.
Mediafour - MacDrive 9 Standard and Pro |

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.