Help~Can't access system preferences

Reaction score
I recently went to install Adobe Photoshop Elements 10, Adobe Premiere Elements 10. During installing Adobe Premiere Elements 10, the install would not complete, so after contact tech support, I was told to change my computer date back to 11/1/2011. Then after I installed change the date back. However, when I tried to access the date in the upper right, even though, date and time preferences is listed (and not de-highlighted), it wouldn't open. Same thing happens when I try to get into system preferences (it also is highlighted and appears available). I am and always have been the only user on this computer.

So far I have gone into system utilities and verified system permissions, in which errors where found and fixed, disk are ok, no errors found. I don't know when this first appeared, as I have not had to go to system preferences for some time…

Please remember when you reply….that I am more than a computer dummie…I am blonde, so 3 years old terms would be greatly appreciated.
:\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What version of Mac OS are you running?
Apple (top left corner) -> About this Mac

I am a little confused about what happened though. Does system preferences come up and you can't get to date and time - or does nothing come up when you select Apple -> system preferences.

If nothing comes up - on the menu bar does it say System Preferences?

OP
T
Reaction score
I have the option for system preferences…it looks like it is available (as it is not de-highlighted) when selected nothing opens, same thing with time and date preferences in the upper right hand corner…seems like I don't have access, yet they are NOT grayed out…hope I answer your question~ helpless

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you click on Applications from the Finder, does System Preferences show up at all? I'm assuming you were trying to access System Preferences from the Dock. The reason I ask is because your System Preferences application may have been moved or accidentally deleted.

OP
T
Reaction score
I was accessing it from the apple icon, it is not listed in finder>applications

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Finder/Applications is not a path to a folder. I guess you mean HD/Applications, where "HD" is the name of your hard drive icon. What happens when you type "System Preferences" into a Spotlight search? There should be an Applications heading in the results, and that will help you find it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the Applications folder which is on your Finder sidebar does not show System Preferences (which is what you just told us) then it may have been accidentally deleted as I stated above. The only way you're going to be able to recover the System Preference folder is by reinstalling.

Make sure you search first in case it was moved before you decide to reinstall OS X.

OP
T
Reaction score
Tried~spotlight> typed system preferences>"no results found"
When I started to type system preferences> System profiler came up>under system profiler:content: software>under the software>preference panel is listed> date and time is listed version:4.0, supported by: Apple, visible:yes (I can't select or open anything from here)

OP
T
Reaction score
Date & Time:

Version: 4.0
Supported By: Apple
Visible: Yes
Identifier: com.apple.preference.datetime
Location: /System/Library/PreferencePanes/DateAndTime.prefPane

OP
T
Reaction score
I thought about what you said, that it appears to have been deleted and looked in my trash can….and there it was…thank you, thank you, thank you! TADA ;))

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. I'm glad you found it. Never empty the Trash without looking first. :)

Have fun and visit with us often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.